D/S Loop Install

dbreese

I'm trying to install a BMR driveshaft loop and I'm having clearance issues. mad Temporarily bolted the loop to the floorpan brace and installed the driveshaft. Well where the shaft passes through the loop best I can tell there is less than 1/4" of clearence at the top. I looked and the loop will only go so far up inside the trans tunnel. Is this enough clearance? I'm afraid that with the rear articulating that the shaft will rub the loop. HELP!!!!

David

what condition are your body mounts in? if they are in bad shape, the body could be sitting lower causing the clearance issue

do you know if you have the correct trans mount, this too could cause a clearance issue

I just mounted one of there loops, no issues here, I welded mine to the floor brace

did you try turning the loop 180*

you could also use a 4x4 on a floor jack, against the floor brace and *adjust* the floor a little wink

Original body mounts which are fair. Factory crossmember and tranny mount. Whats funny is that the loop it self will not fit flush in the trans tunnel. I had to flip the loop around which placed it closer to the u-joint. I guess it could be the body mounts.

David

Well I figured it out. I can mount it just in front of the floor brace. This places it about 4" from the u-joint and gives me almost an 1 1/2 " of clearance between the top of the loop and the d/s. Only drawback is I'll have to drill 4 holes through the floor pan. Oh well.... better safe than sorry. As the old Molly Hatchet song title goes " Flirtin With Disaster" . Been doing it for a while so I'll feel better once I have it installed.

David

i dont think the loop is going to do much if its only bolted to the sheet metal. should be mounted to the body brace. how about some pics as i am gettign ready to make one for my car. good luck!

i dont think the loop is going to do much if its only bolted to the sheet metal. should be mounted to the body brace. how about some pics as i am gettign ready to make one for my car. good luck!

I would think it would be fine if big enough washers are used.

Not much stress will even be placed on the loop in the event of driveshaft failure...it just keeps it from dropping to the ground...sure it will be spinning and bouncing around in the safety loop but that wouldn't cause it to have enough force to rip the floor apart.

Bill

Dbreese, just make sure like you were asking about, that you have enough room for axle movement. I would put it as close to the u-joint as possible while being slightly behind it. I put my loop too far towards the rear of the car and had interference issues when going over bumps. Fixed now, but it sure is unnerving when you hear it for the first time!

NHRA rules require it to be within 6" of the front u-joint.. just somthing to consider if you are going to be on the track with it.

Yep it will be close enough to the u-joint. I agree with Bill using large washers under the bolt heads will make it plenty stable.

The loop placement will allow the driveshaft to articulate with the rear suspension movement.

David