Stiff brakes

I put a vacuum gauge on the air line coming from the carburetor port to test the draw. Was coming in at 11-12in. I’m at 4,500-ish ft elevation. My buddy came by the shop and was helping me for a while. Then I decided to test the vacuum draw in his pickup just to compare. His truck had been sitting and shut off for nearly an hour by then. When I pulled his check valve and hose out of his booster, it went “Woosh” and I knew it was the atmosphere rushing into the booster because his diaphragm is properly working and holding vacuum. Then it dawned on me!! So I started my car up again, let it idle for a minute, turned it off and yanked my check valve and hose off of the booster and voila, nothing! No air rushing into the can. 

I must’ve missed it. But the pedal tests I did all felt to me like it was holding vacuum until I pulled that valve out and realized there was no wooshing. I’m on graveyard shift for a couple more nights, so I won’t be putting the new booster in until Sunday night. I’ll update when I get it set up. Thanks again for your help! 

• Like 1

im far from an expert and will offer no tech advice (also since you don't need any more with all excellence that's been given)    but while we wait for you to change out that booster I'm guessing that vaccuum has somethin to do with it-super hard pedal-like the old non-power brakes---spongy low pedal like Rob said would usually be air in lines/ weak hydraulic component    will be an interesting conclusion once you get there 

• Like 1

I had some other business come up that needed my attention. Sadly I was not able to spend any time working on my Monte last night. And I’m going in to work tonight for another crew. Looking like maybe tomorrow evening or Wednesday before I’ll be able to finish up. 

Well boys, I got the new booster installed today. BINGO!! It definitely was the issue. The car brakes so smoothly and easily now! So much relieved now lol. It’s like a whole new car. I’m not 100% sure there’s 0.020” gap between the pushrod and the master cylinder, but there’s no drag on the pads and rotors, so I know there is some gap. Also, I can feel the brakes take-up right after I depress the pedal, so I don’t think it’s over-gapped enough to cause an issue. I may drive it around a while and if I feel like I need to, I’ll make a small adjustment to sneak the rod a little closer to the cylinder. But for now, it feels and actuates nearly flawlessly!! Thank you all for your advice/input/help, it is much appreciated. What a cool group to be in! Happy cruising! 

• Like 3