How do I get in the 11's

neverdone71

i have a 70 mc. i want to do a big block with a th400 trans, and a 12 bolt rear end. and i want it to do 11's. i dont care if it is 11.99 but i want it in the 11's. now for the big questions. what do i need in the engine and trans to get there. what stall what is the best gear and tire size. i have no problem spending the money to get there i just dont want to spend the money in the wrong place. any and all info would be great. also if i need to get a short gear i would run a gear vendor also so it can be street driven. the car will be seeing a lot of track time, but i also want to be able to drive it to the track and drive it home when its done. thanks

Duane

go to ebay and look up "vortecpro"

he sells awesome engines like this one, and is a highly respected builder at "team chevelle"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/454-475-C...emZ280259884622

a 3.55/3.73 gear, a 3000-3500 stall converter and say hello to the 11's grin

I'm not saying they are a bad company, but be careful. Just because a crate engine can get you into the 11's doesn't make it a good engine. what makes it a good one is that it can repeat that feat consistantly and is still going strong after two, or more years of beating the snot out of it every weekend. There are a lot of big power engines out there that are one hickup away from blowing sky high due to weak(non US forgings) parts. Good luck. Besides your engine is only a part of the solution. It's all in a good working combo. A FGMC in full street trim will never be the quickest car at the track, but it will still be awesome to tun 11 seconds in a 4,000lb car.

I did alot of research on Mark (vortecpro), I had one of his 505's on order before I got mine back, he even refunded 100% of my deposit, if I was going to buy another, he willbe who I call

What do you get for the $4695? The whole engine as it looks on the dyno stand or just the basic long block, and you still have to buy all the engine accessories?

Still not a bad price.

Oh and how do you get in the 11s? Simple A LOT OF MONEY! lol

Also depends on how much you wanna chop your car up, me I don't care, so I am going with several fiberglass parts such as hood, trunk, and probably front bumper. I also eliminated lots of things. I will weigh in no where near fully dressed FGMC.

i dont care if it is 11.99 but i want it in the 11's. now for the big questions. what do i need in the engine and trans to get there.

About 520 flywheel hp...give or take depending on how much your car weighs... grin

Here's a link to what I have done to get my car there, I'm not saying you need all this but you will get the idea...alot of these parts are to consistently get you in the 11's without breaking anything. Click Here

Bill

Here is how I did it:

The basic combo: 10.1 - .060-over 454 w/iron Merlin oval ports; 350 turbo with a 2400 B&M converter; 3:31 gears.

800 Holley

Performer RPM

Cam: 530/558/246/254/114

Hooker comps

2.5" exhaust with big magnaflows

Holley mechanical fuel pump

Stock 3/8" line

Stock fuel tank w/stock pick up

BFG drag radials 275/60/15s

It is heavy- what do these things weigh all steel, full interior?

This combo just nipped 11.99- but that is what you wanted? Ha! I know, this combo may be limited in many different ways, but I'm anti-"race car" to a fault- not much converter or gear, a minimal fuel system- even a turbo 350! But it works. The race car stuff for me gets old- been there done that, but that is just me. Put the money into the heads and keep it simple- it'll run. Yes, I put that number up on a nice cold day with a well prepped track- but I can say it ran an 11! Drove it to the track and I regularly beat the snot out of it- so much fun to drive!

Have fun!

Ok,I think I'm finally headed in the right direction,thanks to you guys.Lot's of work to do on the suspension & brakes (got to be able to stop this thing! lol) New engine for her in the Spring.

Thank you!!

Duane