Yet another 700 r4 problem...

Hoodicoff1

Now got my 700 r4 all set up best I could, it has been working fine until today, took it to work this morning and it wont shift out of 1st till I hit around 4500 then its fine, tried adjusting the TV cable back and fourth, I can feel it pulling the valve inside the transmission, but whereever I adjust it is still doing the same thing and another odd thing I noticed is that the tranny will not remain in first gear when I shift to first nor will it gear down,

quick fix or is it back to the transmission shop to see if he missed something for the third time?

in the transmission?, or is the cable binding up some where between the transmission and carb cuz mine is nice and straight, it moves fine, got the right linkage for it, Ill take it back to the tranny shop right away, I did pay 2300 bucks to have this thing rebuilt, and it would be real nice to have it work

So glad I went with a 4L80... smile I didnt want to mess with the 700 for a couple reasons and this was one of em!

I have like 1k in the tranny and converter and its doing great behind a supercharged big block with no problems.

Tom

All this 700 bashing band wagoning cracks me up. I'll make one last statement and then I'm done on the subject for good. There are alot of 700R4 tranny's out there behind 600+ HP engines that are and have been doing just fine with zero issues. Just like anything else you get what you pay for. If you don't do your homework, save the right amount of money, and be sure you have chosen the right builder you will always lose in this endevor. The hot/cold forged parts that are out there for a 700R4 make this once meek everyday tranny into a beast with high power capacity. Mine lived behind a BB that put down 534HP to the wheels for two years before I sold it. Now it's going behind another 600+ HP BB. Transmissions are like anything else if you don't know what you are doing, or don't have the confidence that someone else is competant to do the job right don't do it. It will always result in what has been listed here. Get off the 700 bashing band wagon, get the facts straight, and either build, or have one built the right way. If you have lost confidence in the 700R4, buy something else, but please don't get on here and blast a good quality GM product that was never initally intended to be used in a performance application. Ok, Im off my soap box. You can bash all you want because this is the place folks do this when they don't have to look someone in the eye when they are called out.

Not bashing the 700R4 at all.... it takes A LOT of money to make one hold up to power and there can be issues with the TV cable. I went with the 4L80 because it was cheaper, no TV cable, I got a great deal on a converter and I know it will hold up to almost anything I put to it.

Yes I did go with the manual valve body with my 4L80 and thats a good point smile Its not as heavy as most people think though... Its only slightly heavier than a TH400. What weighs a TON is the stock converter, it weighs about 75 pounds... plus side of 75 pounds I shipped one cant remember exactly what it was... I got a 99-newer 4L80 so I didnt have to spend a lot of money on upgrading it... Already came with 34 sprag and hardened shafts.... wasnt that bad. Honestly all together I have about $700 dollars in a brand new 4L80 and paid $200 for the converter which is a 9 1/2" yank 3000+ converter with lock up. Granted I got very lucky with all my 4L80 stuff but that was one reason I went with it.

I picked up the 4L80, a TH400 and a 700R4 and honestly couldnt tell much of a difference in weight between them.... The 400 was lighter but not by much and I dont think the 4L80 was any heavier than the 700R4 to be honest....

Allan, you and I talked alittle about the 4l80. I too went with a 4l80 full manual race tranny. I love it. I like the fact I have to shift every gear. No electronics and a non-lockup convertor. One thing I didn't like is the fact it is 3"inches longer than the th400 and that caused me problems on the trans support.

I need to talk with Reaper sometime and see how his install went and just discuss things.

Me personally, I get tired of hearing people bash the 12 bolt rear. The ONLY advantage a 9" ford has is the quick change of the hogs head. People bad mouth the LT1. Last time I checked, that is basically the block in our cars, just a newer casting. If people like bashing Chevy so much, go drive a ford. Of course then it will be like alot of the ones I see at cars shows, "Built Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff". People need to bash their own building skills, not the parts. I shouldn't even be responding again to this post, watch, my stuff will break down. I'm done

What you wanna know about the install? All I did was move the cross member as far back as I could and made new holes... I had to make a little room for it but its doing good. Did you have problems with anything? Im glad I got a converter with lock up, makes a HUGE difference when you have over a 3k stall... PM me anytime smile

Tom

72mc.. the LT1 is NOTHING like our engines at all.

Reverse cooling, special heads that are not interchangble with gen 1 small blocks, that HORRIBLE 'opti spark' system (the big problem with lt1's) they use an optical trigger system for the distributor which is right underneath the water pump.. the pump leaks, it drips into the dist.. and there ya go.. no ignition.

even the cam shaft is different.

I'm not bashing the 700r4 at all, I LIKE the trans, it does everything I Want, mine was built to handle the power, but from what I've been told by many builders, the actual CASE of the 700r4 just isn't strong enough past roughly 600hp.

I'm just unhappy with my builder right now.. if he makes good on the warranty and gets it straightened out, I will be ok with him, he's a good guy I believe. There's just a communication problem between us.. so I'm going to try and get him to go for a ride with me in the car so I can show him what it's doing or not doing as the case may be :P~

I drove an '86 astro van with a 700r4 for about 6 years.. and my '89 cutlass has a 440t4 which is more or less a fwd version of the 700r4.. so I'm using that as a point of reference to what I expect my monte to do, or be able to do.

I've had 2 suburbans and a chevy Z71. That equals 5 rebuilt overdrive transmissions over the last 7 and a half years. Might I point out that I do not drive these vehicles hard and neither does my wife and I do understand transmissions and how they work and these trannies are just plain weak. They have a nice first gear and a nice fourth gear and it all ends there. Everybody save your money and go buy a Gear Vendor. I made this decision after doing MUCH homework.

Nygel.

i gotta agree with 680hp their nygel.. a have a buddy who went thru the same thing.. he was blowing 700r4's up about every 10,000 miles (he was very hard on them) he changed shops after they refuse to warranty his trans for the 5th time.. and he's been running the same trans now for years. Gotta find the right builder.

a guy I used to drive a snow plow for had the same problem.. he'd get 1, maybe 2 seaons out of a 700r4 and it was toast again. he found a trans shop that claimed they co9uld build a 700r4 for plowing.. last I knew, that trans was on it's 5th season and still going strong.

700's are weak... i wouldn't want to try adn run one past about 600hp (staying on the safe side) but at that power level, do you really need o.d? L:OL

nope, you can't allan :P~ 700r4 does not let you use Over drive at full throttle.

in fact, in stock form, the 700r4 forces a 4-3 downshift at somthing pretty stupid, I think it's around 25%-33% throttle.. this creates the infamous 4-3-4 hunting problem.

one of the 'standard' mods made to any 700r4 that has seen service, is to revalve the TV system to delay the 4-3 downshift to about 75% throttle. anything past that, and it just forces you down to 3rd and keeps u there.

going from my TH350 and 2.73's to the 700r4 and 3.55's brought my top speed down from 145mph to about 120 because I can only go so far in 3rd gear :P~

I dunno.. I Think if I were buliding somthing more then 600hp, I'd opt for a 4l80e if I wanted to keep o.d

Gear vendor's are nice, but they're heavy and wildly expensive.

You can solve the hunting by going Full Manual. Not sure about the 700r4 but with the 4l80e, just drop the electronics and build it to be a manual shift only, up and down. That is what my 4l80 is. I guess that is why it is called a full manual race tranny, able to handle 800hp at the wheels.

The shifting aspect is great. Still getting comfortable with the 3 - 2 gear downshift. You have to blip the throttle for proper response. Bottomline is this, the full manual aspect lets you shift when you want to, not when the computer decides based on its parameters.

I don't buy into anything as a belief. I only go on facts that I know first hand. Spray whatever you want, but in the end it's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I will never go on what I've heard, or what the crowd says, but rather on many experiences and not on a one time deal. I'm done with this post. I'm tired of beating my head against the wall. You can't fight, well you know.

• 1 month later...