Made my first pass at the track.

stickshift

I finally made my first pass saturday 09/20/2008 at "The Rock" Rockingham Dragway during the Gear Jammers & Nostalgia Drags. I entered my 72 in the car show and some guys talked me in to making a pass. Drag racing can really be addictive because the minute it was over I was ready to make another pass. I did not run it all out and was only around the high 14s because I did not know what I was doing but I can't wait until next Friday for test & tune. Once I learn what I am doing, What should my ET be? My combo consist of: 350 cubic in., 480/280 Comp. Cam, ported & polished 041 heads w/ 202/160 valves, 1.5 roller rockers, Holley 650 double pumper, MSD 6AL, Dart intake, Blackjack headers, 2 1/2 exhaust with X pipe & single chamber Flowmasters,Super T10 four speed w/ Centerforce Dual Friction cluch kit, 3:55 Richmond geared 10 bolt (single traction) rear end. How can I get my Monte into the 12s or should it be a 12 second car already?

With good tires and a good launch you should be close to what you want or even get it...My combo is somewhat similar and I chased a 10th for quit a few passes but couldnt beat 13.0. I've done some upgrades since and cant wait to go again. It better get me a 12.9 or better now..I run the xe274 which is similar to your 280 in a 355 w/355 gears,3000 stall..I think more gear would help. If those heads can handle more you could go with a 1.6 rr and get some more lift out of that cam. 480 - 512 at least. If you keep what you have I think you just might be able to do it. And with each pass you'll get better too. Good luck...AL

I would guess mid 13's also...your "tire" will break lose for sure killing your time...unfortunately a stick shift car is slower than an automatic with a high stall any day...although they are more fun on the street.

What was your mph in the 1/4 mile, that will give us a better idea of what it may actually do.

Bill

I left too soon. We could have run together. When I ran they were only letting us run 1/8 mile, how'd you get to run 1/4?? I did good, 7.35 @ 92 mph.

Where you at in NC? Tell us a little about your Monte. smile

The "Rock" dragway is in my hometown. I usually hit the local cruise ins. (Laurenburg NC at Smithfields restarant on tuesday evenings, and Hamlet NC on main street on the first Friday of the month). The "Rock" host several events through out the year, and they do test & tune on Fridays. When I made my pass I thought that they were going to time us in the 1/4 so I ran the whole 1/4. The high 14s was just a guesstimate, they timed us in the 8th. I plan on going back to the "Rock" soon during test & tune. Once I learn a little more about what I am doing, I will post some pics or maybe a vid. Right now the only vid I have posted is a walkaround with my car idling. Go to YouTube and put in "My Killer 72 Monte Carlo".

The "Rock" dragway is in my hometown. I usually hit the local cruise ins. (Laurenburg NC at Smithfields restarant on tuesday evenings, and Hamlet NC on main street on the first Friday of the month). The "Rock" host several events through out the year, and they do test & tune on Fridays. When I made my pass I thought that they were going to time us in the 1/4 so I ran the whole 1/4. The high 14s was just a guesstimate, they timed us in the 8th. I plan on going back to the "Rock" soon during test & tune. Once I learn a little more about what I am doing, I will post some pics or maybe a vid. Right now the only vid I have posted is a walkaround with my car idling. Go to YouTube and put in "My Killer 72 Monte Carlo".

Well what was your CLOCKED 1/8 mile time ET and MPH?

Slowww, but I will post some ETs once I move up to "not so slow" lol

Hey don't be ashamed, you got to start somewhere smile. My ole 70 I used to have with a 2 barrel/pegleg turned 10.20 at 68 MPH in the 1/8 mile.