Tach Mounting

Jared Richey

I need to know some ideas where to mount my tach. I really don't want to get into custom making brackets. I also am not going to cut into my dash pad.

Any ideas? Pics would be nice.

Thanks! grin

Does your monte have a factory tach? If so just use that...just make sure it's accurate.

I assume you are using one for shifting at the track (or street) then use a stand alone shift light that you can mount more discretely. They have all shapes and sizes available...I use a Proform one on my vette and it works great, it has a dial on the back to set it when you want the light to come on (see picture below).

My monte does have a large steering wheel mounted tach that is way over kill (maybe I'm just getting old) but there is no reason to have one like that unless you race all the time. I even had to put a switch under the dash to turn the tach light off at night (basically I never turn it on) as it was distracting at night.

Bill

atm-5334_w.jpg

Here's my monte tach...

2197906_107_full.jpg

72montepics1005.jpg

Jared,

Mounted mine (autometer) on the A pillar cover using one of their pods. Small autometer shift light is mounted at the top of the pillar. Use the tach for tuning and the shift light at the track.

David

Originally Posted By: Bones
that's how I had mine mounted too before the roll cage

do you have pictures of your roll cage? I been thinking of putting one right now before I get the interior back in...Looking at 6 or 8 point.

my laptop crashed, can not get to my pic's, search the modifiers forum for threads with "roll cage", I know there are some pictures of it in their

I have the 5" MONSTER Auto Gage Tach by Autometer. I know I know, but the huge tach looks cool and are pretty.

If a 4 cylinder civic with neons, a boom boom and a some stickers has a huge tach, I want one too. lol

I have came up with an idea, I think I will mount it on the A-pillar.

Bill,

Yeah it has a Factory Tach, don't know if it works or not but the Gauge Dash looks better than dummy lights so I left it in there, all except for the fuel gauge and headlight switch, the whole gauge cluster will be worthless.

When I get around to it I'm going to make a custom mounting bracket out of aluminum flat bar with a 45 degree bend on the bottom and a 90 degree bend at the top. It will attach to the underside of the dash assembly using the 45 end and it will be tall enough that the 90 on top will have the platform for the tac in perfect line of sight looking down the track/road. I'll then polish it and have it either anodized, or chromed. I've never seen this personally, but I'm sure someone has done it.