aluminum pipes

71monteme

not to mention it would most likely melt from the intense heat.

you can imagine if your steel headers are glowing cherry red.. what the aluminum exhaust pipe would be going thru...

I think for the cost of it verses the gain (weight savings), it not worth the expense, just my 2 cents

actually the aluminum is less expensive then the piping from summit.

tim . i have not seen my exhaust glow after the collectors, but that is something to consider.

they do make header gaskets out of aluminum. so the heat would not be a problem, i don't believe, i could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: Bones
I think for the cost of it verses the gain (weight savings), it not worth the expense, just my 2 cents

actually the aluminum is less expensive then the piping from summit.

how much will have to spend to do it in alum, when you already have a exhaust now. I guess I'm getting frugal (cheap) in my old age lol

That's one of those ideas that sounds good on paper, but aluminum is troublesome to weld....I would think it wouldn't like to be bent, either.

It's an interesting idea. I wonder if it keeps the noise in?

I have seen oval-shaped pipes, and those would be darn tough to bend, too. There must be an obvious reason why aluminum isn't being used.