Steering column 180 out

RazzNdazz

I’m at a total loss. Don’t know what to do. My steering column and wheel are 180 opposing. Gearbox centered, rag joint only goes on one way. But the master tooth on my column puts my locking plate, cancel cam, and wheel exactly upside down. I literally need to flip the center shaft 180, but don’t know where or how! Any help is appreciated! 

Hey Ryan, not sure if this is going to work but if everything else is all lining up, maybe try to spin the steering wheel 180 degrees??   Again hopfully someone with more knowledge will jump in.   Good Luck

• Like 1

Hi Ryan. The steering wheel being 180 out with everything lining up correctly sounds like the pitman arm is not installed correctly OR the rag joint is for a different application. 

Has anything been changed recently? Also, is it a tilt? If all else checks out, the upper shaft of the tilt column may been put on 180 out. To fix that you will have to remove it from the car, disassemble, re-sync, and reassemble. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

It had a 3 spoke sport steering wheel on it when I bought it. Those wheels have multiple pilot holes for the cancel cam. So you can orient the wheel a few different ways.

So I recently bought a stock steering wheel to put on the car. That wheel only has one pilot hole for the cancel cam. This is how I discovered it’s 180 out. The master tooth on the center shaft is at 7:00 and in order for my locking plate and cancel cam to orient with the pilot hole in the stock wheel, the master tooth needs to be at 1:00. 

I tried flipping the shaft 180 at the rag joint but the 2 bolts that hold it together are different sizes, so I cannot clock it the opposite way. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to pull the column into the passenger compartment enough to separate the collar on the intermediate shaft from the center shaft and then reassemble. 

• Like 1

No, it’s a straight column. I got it straightened out. I took the whole shaft out and separated the joint near the firewall, flipped it over and reassembled. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0462.thumb.jpeg.fcc2816177465bb118fd1f8e70ef6f72.jpegThis is certainly a view y’all are familiar with, but finally for the first time, I get to see what my car looks like with the stock style wheel properly aligned! Thanks to Jared Richey for selling me the wheel! 

• Like 4