Cycling switch for AC compressor

Mike Brichta

Is anyone here using a cycling switch for their AC compressor?

I recently installed a new evaporator, compressor, condenser and hoses from Old Air products and they recommend using a cycling switch so the compressor goes ON and OFF based on temperature. I didn't wire it in because I never had an AC system on any old car that was that cold. But this system will literally freeze you out now. I can only keep the blower on low because it is so cold. Just curious if anyone else has come across a similar situation. 

Also, what is the difference between "Max AC" and just "AC" on the climate control panel? I'm guessing regular AC mixes in some outside air with the AC system. I'm just not sure.

Rob, did you wire in the switch on your car? If so, how often does it go on and off?

Thanks!

P.S. Old Air Products in Texas is the way to go with AC systems. Brrr.

If you happen to have an 'Owner's Manual' handy, it explains pretty simply what the Max & Normal modes do. Basically, 'Max' recircs passenger compartment air thru the system & discharges it from the upper vents. (if 'Temperature' lever is moved warmer, it goes back to outside air.). 'Normal' uses outside air, and they recommend it for reduced blower noise and reduction of cigarette smoke within the vehicle....lol.

My A/C uses a 'pressure' cycling switch in the 134a conversion, but it works just fine. I think FrankOC has parts from OldAir that includes a temperature cycling switch, instead of a pressure switch. I think he's getting it charged up pretty pretty soon, if not already done by now. He may have better input on how his system works.

• Like 2

Mike, you could put what we referred to as a “cold control” switch in the system( this might be what you are referring to). It is basically a probe that goes into the evaporator and when the temperature gets too cold (enough to cause a freeze up condition) it shuts off the compressor clutch. Most times it is just wired to open a relay that is inline with the compressor clutch circuit 

7 hours ago, Mike Brichta said:

Is anyone here using a cycling switch for their AC compressor?

Rob, did you wire in the switch on your car? If so, how often does it go on and off?

Thanks!

P.S. Old Air Products in Texas is the way to go with AC systems. Brrr.

Mike,

Yes, I did wire the switch in on mine.  As far as how often it goes on and off, I don't know, I can only say so far it has worked very well..

rob

• Like 2