Turbo 350 Line Pressure

AndyBill402

I have never run a th350 with any kickdown linkage for the last 10 years. I have always cut the cable and plugged the trans hole. I've never had any problems, and the transmission will still kick down due to the vacuum modulator and governor.

My situation is slightly different than yours because I am not just disconnecting it from the carb, I'm not connected either place, but I would think it would be the same result.

Anybody Else?

Thanks very much for the input. I've got my TH350 kickdown cable disconnected from my carburetor. For right now I've got the cable just laying behind the carburetor. My 383 stroker is so strong it just doesn't need the kickdown. I mentioned this to a carburetor guy (some of you would know him), and he said I'd damage the tranny due to some deal with the line pressure. The guy who built my stroker motor tells me he never runs the kickdown in his cars, and he's never had a tranny problem.

So, I guess that's settled.

That is an interesting theory. I know with the TH400, when you manualy place the gear selector in the low gear position, there is more pressure directed to the clutches than if you were in low gear with the selector in the drive position. You don't notice any difference from the drivers' seat, but it's happening nonetheless. I don't know if the TH350 has something like that going on inside or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.. the Kickdown cable on a TH350 does _NOT_ control 'line pressure' in ANYWAY whatso ever.

the kick down cable controls 'kickdown pressure' to the modulator valve circuit, which also uses pressure from the modulator and govener, to allow the downshift valves to move, or stay put.

you will find veyr early upshifts w/o the kickdown cable tho.. part of what it does, is hold the trans in the lower gear until late as possible when you have foot burried in it smile