Driveshaft, slip yoke

John S

Does the 27 spline transmission slip yoke for 1970 have internal or external clips for the ujoint? Also, if you could let me know what the length of the yoke is from the joint centerline to the end. I’m not sure what I have in the car or better yet with somebody else put in there, but mine has internal clips and my slip yoke length is 5 inches 

John S

John,

I'm assuming you're using a th350 transmission with a 6" tailshaft ? 

When you say "internal clips" are you talking about the compression rings that go inside the knuckle (as pictured) ?

As for the length, assuming your transmission has a 6" tailshaft, then 5" end to center would be about right..... So long as there's wiggle room for it to move in and out without bottoming out on rough roads. (about 1") 

When I swapped to a 200r4, I had to trim about 3/4" off the yoke to keep that from happening.

Hope this helps, 

Scott.

slip yoke.jpg

No M20 4 speed transmission. My ujoints have the inside, snap ring that snaps on the u joint cap itself. I have an extra yoke in that style with the outside ring but I don’t think I can use a joint that uses inside style snap rings on a yoke made for outside style snap rings. Unless someone thinks I can.

1 hour ago, John S said:

No M20 4 speed transmission. My ujoints have the inside, snap ring that snaps on the u joint cap itself. I have an extra yoke in that style with the outside ring but I don’t think I can use a joint that uses inside style snap rings on a yoke made for outside style snap rings. Unless someone thinks I can.

If I get a chance, before you get a definitive answer, I will go to one of my garages/storage facilities and take pics and measurements of the yolk for my 71 402, m20 4speed Monte. It may be a few days. 

• Like 1

OK, thanks Thomas much appreciated. If it means anything, I don’t even know if the correct driveshaft is in there but the joints that are in the car now are both Moog ujoints, 534G in the front and 449 in the rear.

John S

46 minutes ago, John S said:

OK, thanks Thomas much appreciated. If it means anything, I don’t even know if the correct driveshaft is in there but the joints that are in the car now are both Moog ujoints, 534G in the front and 449 in the rear.

John S

I hear ya. Lol. You also have a 12 bolt rear? Correct? The output shaft is the size of a th350 or the bigger th400?

I do remember that the M20 in 71 and up had the same output shaft as the th400/M22, which my M20 does. 70 and earlier have the th350 size. 

It is a 12 bolt posi-traction 3.31 gears. CCF code. Outside diameter of yoke 1.5 inches size of transmission output, shaft, 1.175, I may be off by a couple thousandths. The best I can determine is that everything I have is from a 71-72 Monte Carlo, Chevelle. The rear u joint in the car is a combination u joint.

Okey dokey. Found the car and driveshaft. Lol. Th400 yolk, snap rings on outer side of shaft. All caps, front and rear same size. 

All measurements are "rough", trying to hold the shaft, take a pic and not get soaked by the rain.

I hope this helps. 

PXL_20231210_173401366.jpg

PXL_20231210_173649300.jpg

PXL_20231210_173658454.jpg

PXL_20231210_173954959.jpg

PXL_20231210_173721152.jpg

OK mine is the same length and the measurements match up other than my snap rings are on the inside, and the diameter of my ujoint caps are 1 1/8 in. The exception is the caps that go into the rear end yoke are 1 1/16in. I am starting to believe that the driveshaft is not for a 1970 I think it’s 1971 to 72. Thanks for taking the time to do this I appreciate it.
John S

• You're Welcome 1