rally derby caps

Has anyone restored derby caps,I have several trying to find the best way to redo the black painted areas.I have restored some side trim for my 70 c10 by spraying the entire piece and wiping the high areas with a gas saturated rag which worked but don't think that technique would work for these. Any advice appreciated.  thanks

Denny maybe you can tape large areas and someone here said once, use grease or Vaseline on the tight areas with a Q-Tip. I never did derby caps so i cant tell you from personal experience. Maybe someone else that did do it can chime in and let us know what they did.  Good Luck

I be used 1/4” masking tape and individually taped each rib making sure the tape is tucked in the corner at the base of the rib. Then cut the tape with a razor, Xacto knife, or one of those small retractable knives where when they get dull you break off the tip to get a fresh edge. The big key here is to do maybe 2 light coats of paint. It’s not a wear surface, you just need color. If you go too heavy the paint will bridge the tape and you’ll end up having to recut the paint at the tape line to prevent pulling some of the painted surface when you remove the tape, and that won’t look as clean. As Dan says, very tedious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the suggestions guys. I fooled around with the best caps I had which are driver quality only. didnt turnout to bad used the spray and wipe the high spots with a gas rag

derby caps restore.JPG