Glove box door lock removal

72Ragtop

I give up... I've looked in both 70 & 72 Chassis service & Body manuals, the Chev Factory Assembly manual and the collision manual. I've poked every slot and opening, w/o the key and with the key in the locked & unlocked position. How does the lock and knob come out of the glove box door???? Also, can the, approximately, 10 degrees of "cylinder/lock" rotation be eliminated?

Thanx for any help. DCW

I know you need the key, I didnt have mine at work when I painted my glove box, so I taped it up eek

I know I know, its not like me, but noone will know but me and whoever reads this post

Its on the internet now lol It will never go a way!

THANK YOU monte70car !! Following those instructions on that link, I had it apart in 30 seconds. Couple of observations; 1)I used .042" diameter weld rod with a slitely tapered, but flat "point". 2)There's 5 tumblers and the one closest to the knob is not activated with the key. 3)Tightening up that "rotational-slop" is going to take some thinking, probably a 6-pak's worth. DCW

I'm glad you got it apart. My lock was loose and misaligned and I kept messing with it untill I fixed it. I don't remember what I did. The only way I can remember is to take it apart again. Can't do that now 'cause it's too cold out.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a solution to the "rotational slop"!!!!!! I'll try and get it sketched up and (hopefully) figure out how to attach it. It involves two (2) #2-56NC screws, with the heads cut off, screwed into the "outer ring" of the latch assembly and two corresponding holes (drill sizes #50 thru #43) drilled in the glove box door. All invisible from the outside!