Moog Springs for 70 & 71 SS 454...

David

Hello everyone,

Moog is telling me they sell a different Front Coil Spring for the 70 & 71 SS 454 Monte Carlo. Does this seem odd to anyone? Aren't the frames, suspension and body shells the same? Wouldn't you think the Springs should be the same? Just curious what you guys think?

70 SS 454 - Moog P/N 6330

71 SS 454 - Moog P/N 5536

David

springs and our monte's have always been questioned, we have beat this to death around here, and no one can seem to get a definite answer, GM may have change the spring rates from 70 to 71 which would account for the different part numbers

I brought the question up because I bought a pair of 70 SS 454 Springs, Moog P/N 6330 and wasn't very happy with the ride height...eventually I was told the 71 SS 454 had a different Spring which makes me think there is a P/N problem with 70 454 Moog Spring...I'm still not sure what to think about the Springs...the 70 454 Moog spring just doesn't seem to be doing the job...25 1/2" in the Front...to low for me...

Do you think I should move this post to the Suspension section?

Thanks,

David

Bones,

I already tried 3/4" spacers/shims and still had a problem...so I took the Springs out and now I'm debating on putting the 71 SS 454 Moog Springs P/N 5536 in....or ditch Moog and try another Spring manufacturer....thought I would ask you guys first since I'm sure other members have run into similar problems...

D

Hello Everyone,

Capri thanks for the e-mail, while I'm sorry you went through the same headaches I'm going through, it's good to know I'm not going crazy, I was starting to wonder... ;0)

To summarize for the rest of the members, Capri went back to the original Springs and added a Shim/Spacer....which again makes me think Moog has a problem with the Front Springs for the 70 & 71 SS 454 MC....

Other than going back to the original Springs (which I no longer have) or getting the QA1 Coil Over Springs/Shocks which are considerably more $, I'm not sure what to do....frustrating...

David

Other than going back to the original Springs (which I no longer have) or getting the QA1 Coil Over Springs/Shocks which are considerably more $, I'm not sure what to do....frustrating...

I was gonna suggest them from the begining of this thread but I figured you wanted a pure stock looking SS (even though they are really not visible when on the car) as I have seen these posts before how people are never satisfied with their ride height...you can't go wrong with the QA1 Coil Over Spring/Shocks... wink

Bill

I've got the Moog springs in the front and rear of my car and the ride height was good right out of the box. I didn't save the box so I don't remember the part number. But it's odd because in my last 2 Montes I actually had to cut the springs down to get the correct ride height because they sat to high in the front. All three were 1971 big block cars....very strange indeed.....

Steve