Wireless problem

7tonemonte

Wow, Im in the computer forum lol

Ok, I had FIOS installed a few weeks back, all has been working fine. Yesterday my laptop will not sign on line. My PC is fine,along with TV,where the guide uses the router also.

when I click on the search for wireless button, then click on my router #, it says connected,then loses it. I then click on "Troubleshoot", it says Did not receive IP address.,Then I go down to "reenter security passwords",I dont do anything at the next screen for general settings other than click "OK"all that screen is,is a name for my wireless network (SSID)and then it reconnects, and says there are no issues.When I try to sign on, it has no connection, I click diagnose and it says Windows is not managing my wireless network.

Ok, enough info to start??

I want to know if there is possibly a problem with the router even though my PC and the guide for my TV which plugs into it as well is working fine?

How do I tell if its an issue with the router,or the laptop?

Yep, i unplug both my cable modem and my wireless router for 30 seconds, then plug them in and restart. I haven't had to do it for months, i ended up getting a router with a better range. I went from a Linksys to a D-Link and it's been much more reliable.

I tried the unplugging thing, no dice.

reset button also.

It is an Actiontec router, model # MI424WR. Allan, Im sure you remember I am not very good at the computer thing lol

I was just trying to figure out if its an issue with the laptop or router, I dont know how to figure that out. Like I said, It comes up fine and says Im connected, then blanks out when I try to go online.

Ill try the other suggestion about disabling it and starting over also

Its an Intel app and I tried to disable it and use the microsoft one, same thing. The reset I did was just a buttton on the back of the router, I did try a system restore to the day before when It was working also. I know I shouldnt be messing with that stuff, but there really isnt any info in this laptop to worry about losing. And no,there are no custom configurations in it. Every time I do a troubleshoot, it says Im connected to the network, then it loses it on me

As of right now, I am on with the laptop, I got into some properties screen, and retyped the WEP and confirmed it, I seem to be on for now, Keeping my fingers crossed!!

This was also with Microsoft managing the wireless adapter, when I switched back to Intel, I had another problem so went back to Windows, seems to be ok for now, Ill see how it goes today

I have FIOS and there router seems to loose the DHCP server some times, so even my son knows how to reset it.. frown It works for weeks and the all of a sudden some pc's or the Xbox won't be able to get on..

It is what gives your computers their IP addresses. Yep and resetting the router restarts it. smile I have the same router. I added a second router to the mix for better coverage in the garage smile