center console

kc8oye

I started working on my center console today.. I'd rather do that then the trunk stuff.. I'm going to construct the center console to house my ratchet shifter and it's going to extend all the way up to the dash, and back to the front of the bench seat smile

I guess I left out the word 'custom' smile

and having a bench seat.. those stock monte consoles won't fit real well smile

This is what I started with:

consolestart1.jpg

consolestart2.jpg

i was thinking..well where to start.. so I thought a little bit about what i wanted, and how it was going to fit.. and possible concerns.. like where my legs were going to be.. i had tomake sure I could get my foot on the gas pedal ok... I also realized that the heater duct was going to be issue, so I had to make sure it didn't extend all the way to the firewall..

and this is where I'm at so far

consoleprogress1.jpg

consoleprogress2.jpg

i think that passener side is going to need a little bit more work.. i can't extend it up any further, or the passenger will not be getting any heat.. unless I incorporate a duct inside the console..

I am also going to have it extend up to the bottom of the dash (I think)

I'm going to remove the cover to the ratchet shifter and just not use it.

I don't ever use the gear indicator on the side of it anyway, (I might add a lokar digital indicator or somthing once the console is built)

then I'm going to lay a flat panel across the console fram,e problaby using luan or somthing, cutting a slot for the ratchet shifter handle, and then I'll mould some kind of fiberglass around the opening.. this will leave me room to add a couple of gauges and switches too. (maybe a cupholder) heh

oooh, I like those seats andreas smile

that arm rest looks really comfy :>

I was thinking about using somthing like this in my console..

dashindicator_bezel_horz.jpg

I never said I Was talented enough either arsin!! LOL

but my whole 'thing' with my monte is to be able to point at somthing and say I did it myself. my rear axle and transmission are the onlythings I've had done else where.

i did my front speakers myself too with fiberglass..

kickpaneldone.jpg

frontsinstalled.jpg

frontsinstalled4.jpg

There are more pictures here..

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/frontspeakers/index.htm

I'm sure it'll be nice when your done. I'm a single dad that works nights so all I have are weekends. I try to keep my projects relatively short if I ever want to finish them. I definetly think custom gets more props

Tim,

no problem with doing it yourself. You are doing a great job custom-fabbing...

If I would have had the time, I would have probably done te console myself as well.

I was just posting the link for the not so fortunate Monte lovers, who have to rely on pre-fabbed solutions to save time...

And that gear indicator looks sweeet....

i hear ya andreas smile I kinda like that pre-fabbed one..

one of my personal goals with my monte carlo, is that I don't want it to have ANY "cookie cutter" feel to it at all.

when it's "done" I want people to walk up to it and be saying things like "Wow, I've never seen that before.." or "that's different" smile

not "oh yeah.. he's got the same center console as that chevelle two rows over" kind of thing smile

(as for you jokesters, you can just bite your keyboard about my car being unique) LOL

this is true allan smile

andreas: where did those center consoles come from? depending on the price, I might save myself some time and effort smile

See above. I submitted a write-up about the installation for one of the next club newsletters...

I have something close to what you are trying to build, Tim.

Hey, it works great and functions well, but not so good looking.

It's a technical marvel that was hard to build and I'm glad my windows are tinted.

The heater problem isn't hard to fix; you take the top surface of your console as far forward as you like, but the bottom goes less. That gives you a nice space for the heat to come out. Hey, your console could even incorporate some ductwork to pipe warm air to the rear seat area.

My stupid console has a nice storage area under a raised armrest between the seats, and a nice flat surface where it's handy to place business cards, coffee cups, CD's and such where they can later launch themselves onto the passenger floor. If you can drive in a straight line you'll love it. The whole point of building it was to house my subwoofer; it faces upward right under the dash.

mine won't be housing any audio gear excpet perhaps the add on HD Radio tuner and/or a CD chnager some where down the road.

I have a bench seat mark, so between-the-seats won't be an issue.

I mainly want to do somthing different to hid my ratchet shifter base, and provide some extra space for gauges and a couple of switches..

if it doesn't come out well, I just won't use it:P~