MSD E-Curve installed

dbreese

Had some time today so I installed the distributor and coil. I had removed the old ignition system yesterday.

Set the distributor in the locked out mode with 10 degree start retard and stabbed it in at 36 deg. Wiring was pretty much plug and play. Reused my original coil bracket for the Blaster 2 coil ( with a little grinding) and it fit my Air Gap RPM just perfect. Hooked up the tach output.

Car fired right up and idled great. Took her for a test drive and the car has very snappy throttle response and the idle is rock steady. I'll play with timing curves later but right now it will stay locked out. I NEED to get to the track!!!

David

why would you buy the expensive E-curve to run it locked-out? seems to me that the ProBillet 8360 would have been a more cost-effective solution....

running it in lock out mode is just one option with this dist. tim. with the e-curve he can drive it to the track and change the knobs to suite the condtions. wont be a need to carry a timing light unless you want to check the timing everytime you change the dails.

why would you buy the expensive E-curve to run it locked-out? seems to me that the ProBillet 8360 would have been a more cost-effective solution....

Built in rev limiter, start retard, were two selling points. Not sure but I don't think that the 8360 ( Nice distributor btw) have these functions and would require external controls. I plan on setting the curve prior to doing Hot Rod's Drag Week for mileage and performance with just a turn of the dials. Yet another reason. Ease of setting up your curve.

David

Do you run that dist with an MSD box? Can you? Can you run it without one? I would love to get one eventually but I haven't done the research (I'm starting that by asking you guys! lol).

Do you run that dist with an MSD box? Can you? Can you run it without one? I would love to get one eventually but I haven't done the research (I'm starting that by asking you guys! lol).

Hey Scott,

You can run it with a box but it is not required.

David

Hey David, I hope these changes (new headers, dist.) net you some good runs this year.

Allan, I run the digital 6 plus box right now and really like it. Alot of options and still have 2 options on it that I am not using right now(ie. nitrous and trans break) but do plan on it in the future. I would recommend the HVC Blaster II coil (square coil) when you go with the digital 6. - Dave

I never said it wasn't good allan. I was just questioning why he would spend so much money for features he 'apparently' didn't need.

why by an electronic timing curve dist and set it up for locked out timing? that's what I was wondering.

Rob.. I've never seen the E-curve, but if it's anything like the probillet, you can't 'just switch' between locked out and normal mode. on a ProBillet (like mine) you have to pull the distributor out of the engine, remove the drive gear, pull the shaft out, rotate it 180°, put it back in, re-install the drive gear, and then re-install the dist.. not exactly somthing I'd want to do on a regular basis.. now if it's just a matter of popping the cap and flipping a dial or switch, that would be kinda cool smile

Plus there is a big difference between analog and digital, no comparision. I'm fully digital now (crank trigger and distributor and digital 6), I've had both, regular and locked out and again there is no comparision when you put the timing light on it..analog jumps and digital says rock solid

Scott

i guess I just don't see the value for money in the E-curve *shrug* I've never pulled my ProBillet out since I've put it in.. and i've changed the advance curve several times.

as for the vac advance, if I need/want to tune that I just put an adjustable can in and I'm done.

I guess for someone who likes to continually play with their timing it'd be worth it. same with the rev limiters.. I put a 6000 rpm pill in my msd box, and haven't touched it since.

I'm super happy with upgrading to the MSD Box, and adding the ProBillet.. mine is a ready to run, but I use the MSD Box with it anyway.. the difference over a stock hei is like the difference between worn out points and a brand new hei smile

Your point is well taken Tim, but that's the difference between a 14 second and a 11-12 second car. At the track you want to be able to adjust in order to see if you can pick up any ET or MPH and timing plays a factor (as well as carb tuning, suspension, air pressure, etc). Its not uncommon to see a tenth or 2 gained by adjusting the curve or total timing.

Scott