Mystery wire

Scott S.

I recently replaced the light switch in Montelishi, and I still can't find the connection spade for the white/light grey 20 gauge wire that operates the under dash lights. 

I've looked at the diagrams on here, and they show what appears to be some sort of common connection block............ But I just can't seem to find it. 

It has a smaller female spade end on it, but not sure where it attaches.

Any ideas ?

Are you talking about the 2  'courtesy' lights that light up the front foot wells,  Scott?

Yes.

I've connected the wire to a live feed, but then they stay on all the time.

I'm was thinking that they need to connect to the door switch, but the diagram shows some sort of block connection in line.

Connect the wire to the Door Switch (found under & alongside) Glove Box passenger side.  Make the connection to the same feed that powers behind the Door Switch so that Lights come on when door opened and off when door closed.  Lay down on passenger side floor and look up behind door switch where you will see where to connect & same on driver side.  Can't remember if it has a lone post or simply connected on one post.  Limited space made it somewhat difficult to get hand up there.  Guess you could remove or drop glove box for easier access but don't know if more work following that method.  Been several years since I did this.

Doug 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Connect the wire to the Door Switch (found under & alongside) Glove Box passenger side. 

Scott and I talked on the phone Doug, and the loose wire he found was on the driver side. After looking at the schematic and with the wire he has, it appears that the tandem ground wire from the driver side switch is what would plug into his loose wire. Right now, it's not readily visible, but I suspect it's tucked behind the kick panel or parking brake bracket, etc.

Worst case, if he can't find that short wire, he could tap into the white ground wire at the left side courtesy lamp, which is electrically the same as hooking up to the second terminal on the driver side door switch. I'll put up a schematic later of what appears to be the issue. He said he'd let me know when he gets to it, and if it is actually the problem.

Gm3 lights.jpg

• Like 6

In the infamous words of Jimmi.....

Hey Joe, (lol) 

The second white wire does come off of the door switch, but, as discussed, it disappears somewhere along the edge of the dash/parking brake assembly. 

I'll take a better look the next time I get under there, as I can't really tell by looking down from the top side. 

Thanks for all your insights. 👍

• Like 2