A better female connector for the starter wire

John Burns

My starter has a male spade connector for the starter wire.  I have tried various push on female connectors for many years.  They become loose and I've found them barely attached more than a few times.  It just happened again... I knew there had to be a better way.  I dug around and found these connectors at DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/63239-1/294488?s=N4IgTCBcDaIIJgCwHYCsqDCAVAtAOQBEQBdAXyA

The trick thing about these is that they clip into the little hole in the male spade connector.  There is a little lever on them to pop them off.  I installed one and pulled pretty hard on the connector and it stayed!  Fingers crossed this is the cure.

• Like 3

I just hooked mine up. No male spade connectors. All studs with a nut and lock washer.

IMG_2175.jpeg

Can your spade be removed from the stud or is the spade a part of the solenoid itself?

• Like 2

Just now, Dtret said:

I was going to post that but I figured he had an aftermarket starter. 

True.

I wondered if the spade is removable and simply bolted on to a stud.

10 hours ago, Canuck said:

I just hooked mine up. No male spade connectors. All studs with a nut and lock washer.

Can your spade be removed from the stud or is the spade a part of the solenoid itself?

Thanks for the thought!  (And nice looking small block!)  Yes aftermarket starter and I just had to look to see if the stud was removable- it isn't.  It is a big block with headers and it is tight, so I'm stuck with the starter.  As one of my taglines says:  "Did you ever notice that when you buy aftermarket stuff, you have to buy more aftermarket stuff to make it all work?"

• Like 5

I've seen those clips on diesel generators...... If you don't know about the "lever", they're impossible to pull off.

The HEI ignition and tach wires use a similar connector, but it's the plastic cover and clips to the cap. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 2:53 PM, Scott S. said:

I've seen those clips on diesel generators...... If you don't know about the "lever", they're impossible to pull off.

The HEI ignition and tach wires use a similar connector, but it's the plastic cover and clips to the cap. 

Nice!  If they are impossible to pull off, then they won't fall off!

46 minutes ago, John Burns said:

Nice!  If they are impossible to pull off, then they won't fall off!

Hope not. But if they do it will be in the rain when the headers are nice and hot. 🥵 

• Haha 3