Factory 454HP Rating

gronlit

I always hear people say that GM published the HP ratings lower than actual for insurance reasons. The LS5 was published at 360HP, but there is a Chevrolet training manual on Ebay that lists it at 390hp...wonder if this was the actual HP?

Ebay Link

there were two different LS5 454 in 1970, the 360 and 390, the 390hp went into vettes and a few Impala's, the truth to it is that they are the exact same engine, GM couldn't let the vette have lower hp numbers, so they played with the hp numbers, some they rated the hp at different RPM's

no!!!

the LS6 had a holley and the 396/402-375hp had a holley too, I had a factory 390 hp, Q-jet, same cam , same heads, the intake for a vette was real low for hood clearance, the carb maybe different, I'll have to research that

Guest 72yellowmc
no!!!

the LS6 had a holley and the 396/402-375hp had a holley too, I had a factory 390 hp, Q-jet, same cam , same heads, the intake for a vette was real low for hood clearance, the carb maybe different, I'll have to research that

what do you mean no!!!!! . bleh . lol

I thought I heard that the difference was in the exhaust manifolds. And also cause the vette HAD to make more power!

Wow, look what i started.

Hopefully we can agree that the lucky 454s to make it into the Montes looked better going down the road.

not to worry...Robyn and I are just busting each others chops, we speak on the phone often, and know it's all in fun wink

Guest 72yellowmc
Originally Posted By: gronlit
Wow, look what i started.

Hopefully we can agree that the lucky 454s to make it into the Montes looked better going down the road.

not to worry...Robyn and I are just busting each others chops, we speak on the phone often, and know it's all in fun wink

.... ditto ....

Robyns always been known as a trouble maker. lol

Back to the post...

You're right that GM lied on HP ratings in the Muscle Car days for insurance purposes, what I've heard is the LS6 Chevelle had more like 500+ HP instead of 450.

You're right that GM lied on HP ratings in the Muscle Car days for insurance purposes...

And they were not alone in doing so! What an era it was... smirk

Sam is correct about the Corvette thing, too. The Corvette always had the top horsepower ratings with any of Chevy's engines.

Dave