Rear bumper gaurds

11 hours ago, misty70 said:

I am in search of a set of rear bumper gaurds for my monte 

Let me look. I know I have a few sets but I’m not sure of the chrome quality. Will probably need new rubber. 

14 hours ago, misty70 said:

I am in search of a set of rear bumper gaurds for my monte 

Good for you! I think first gen Montes look partially naked without bumper guards. 

I have managed to find and install three pairs (two rear; one front) on my two Montes.  One rear pair was NOS in the original box but those don't show up very often.  I got another complete set from a member here that was pretty rough but I planned to completely refurbish them with rechroming and new rubber strips anyway. 

I stripped the old rubber and attachment bolts off all four pieces and sent them to Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, TN for rechroming. After they returned them, I cleaned and painted the insides with Bumper Chrome spray paint, installed new rubber strips from the Parts Place and installed them on my '70.  It cost $75 apiece for the replating and around $40 a set for the new rubber strips but those prices have probably gone up by now. 

I have some detailed installation photos for both front and rear guards, if you are interested. Good luck.

448.JPG

P4015202.JPG

450.JPG

P4015205.JPG

P4015206.JPG

P4015208.JPG

P4025262.JPG

P4025272.JPG

P9273787.JPG

P9273790.JPG

P9273799.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willie said:

Dennis B, is the part # that's on the page #3974022 a correct part # for the rear guards?

That may be the part number for the entire assembly or for the dealer installation kit for RPO V32. 

Page 893 of the 1970 Monte Carlo Assembly Manual lists all of the individual part numbers including the guard (3972331-2), cushion (3972335) and each of the attachment bolts, washers and nuts.  It does not, however, ever show #3974022 anywhere on that page.

Two things I neglected in my initial post: 

1. The guards come as a pair with an "R" (Right Hand) and an "L" (Left Hand) stamped on the lower back side so be sure you have an actual pair as they are not interchangeable. 

2. The template that came with the NOS pair was invaluable for precisely locating the holes (you must be certian the template is perfectly vertical when you mark the holes).  It is easy to make a template by simply tracing the bumper-matching edge and bolt hole positions of one of the guards on stiff cardboard and then carefully cutting it out.  I made a single template with front guards on one side and rear guards on the other.  Worked fine.

P9273798.JPG

P9273788.JPG

P9273792.JPG

PB284329.JPG

PB284324.JPG

PB284327.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1