glass fenders.....

Monte72Carlo

I was looking on glasstek's site and saw the fenders for our first gens. Anyone have them? like them? anyone have any opinions about them they would like to share. My thoughts are: alot less prep/rust removal for paint, lighter, cost is very descent compared to restoring an old set of steels.

maybe their pro front end, it would be supper light.

the reason I ask is that I may have a person interested in mine and might go to glass anyways.

Thanks,

Garrett.

I was looking on glasstek's site and saw the fenders for our first gens. Anyone have them? like them? anyone have any opinions about them they would like to share. My thoughts are: alot less prep/rust removal for paint, lighter, cost is very descent compared to restoring an old set of steels.

maybe their pro front end, it would be supper light.

the reason I ask is that I may have a person interested in mine and might go to glass anyways.

Thanks,

Garrett.

well if ur racing the car the choice gets real easy. If the price seems right for you then even better. I have read though that a few people that have done this conversion stated the fenders needed a bit work to get to fit. I will tell you this, I have a glasstek front bumper and it fits great, alot folks here have glasstek hoods and they also fit great so that should tell you a little about there quality

If your planning on having them look like steel, they wont!

Ive seen tons of hours put into fiberglass panels, only to have them crack later on.

If your planning on building a race car,not really a street cruiser,youd be fine. You just cant have fiberglass hold up for such a long flexible front fender in my opinion.

i have glass fenders, not sure if they are glastek because i got them from a member here. this was 3-4 years back so they were just coming out with glass fenders, alot of work to get them to fit right, i don't know if the fitment is better but if you're doing a show car- go with steel, it will be easier and looks better.

my car sees maybe 500miles a year cruising, but a lot of track time. the glass is holding fine.

yea, It was going to be a street/strip car so it will see more like 10,000k or more per year. It is the only car I own at the moment but I will likely get a more street able car later on. Taking alot of time to fit properly is not a big deal for me (still around 150 or so days till I can drive anyways)

Thanks,

Garrett.

GlassTech...

A1 on quality, I have a 4" pin on hood and fit and quality is excellent, but the Fenders I've heard are a pain to get to fit correctly. One guy said he had them on and off like 10 times.

Steel fenders are not that heavy, and to me the weight savings of fiberglass is not worth the trouble of getting them on and the safety of steel.

454engine121.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have the glasstek fenders, they would be ok for a strip car but i would spend the bucks and go with steel if i had it to do again. I spent a HUGE amount of time to get them straight and mount them and to be honest my car would be nicer with steel fenders. If your concerned with the weight just add more power it is so much easier.