rear end gears

montecrazy1971

I keep hearing people talk about 3.73 to 4.10 gears being to much gear for cruising. My car has 3.90 with a th400 and 3500 stall and mild smal block and still gets 14mpg. So i'm very happy with this gear. just my opinion.

another good reason to run a small block smile

rick, that kind of gearing is fine on short drives.. put it on the freeway @ 70mph for an hour or more at a time....

when my overdrive wasn't working I Really didn't care.. until I drove out to leo's at 3300 rpm for an hour, listening to the incesent drone of my mufflers frown

(they're super quiet at 2250 rpm when i'm on OD)

Yeah, it's not so much the gas mileage. I get around 15 mpg in with my ZZ4 350 crate motor with a 3.73 rear gear. But if I want to get on the highway, I hit 3000 RPM at around 60-65 mph. I just don't want to put that much stress on my motor for any long distances. That's why I am contemplating switching to a lower gear until I can get an overdrive tranny put in. I'll probably do that when I put the big block in, since it's originally a big block car. Overall I'm happy with it, it's just not a long distance cruiser at this point.

I've got a good sit-up in mine. Thanks to all the help and information from my FGMCC family. Great in town car with the 700R4 and 3.73 gear. Great on the highway too!! It's still not broke in and it's getting 18 at 60.

I guess you guys are right but I drive mine up to 100 miles away on the freeway at a time to different shows it never bothers me but thats just me I guess.

Hey Rick,

I have done Hot Rod's Drag Week two years in a row. Some of the drives between tracks were over 300 miles. All of my buddies cars had OD trannys. On the interstate we were traveling around 70 to 75 mph. My engine was buzzing around 3600 rpm for several hours at a time. It was mechanical music!!!! smile. Zero issues and I got about 13 mpg. lol

David

I can put up with my engine turning 3300 rpm.. but I'd definately want to re-tune the exhaust fist .. the drone at those rev's is really annoying (thank god for my 1,300W+ stereo system)

but the engine is so much more 'relaxed' and 'composed' feeling when it's only turning 2250 rpm to maintain 70mph smile at 3300 the whole car feels like it's "straining" all the time..

not to mention since my engine isn't balanced, it vibrates FAR less at 2250 :P~

Originally Posted By: Bones
well...you're not a engine guy I see, nothing sounds sweeter than a V8 buzzing down the road at that RPM nutz

Sure there is. A V8 buzzing down the road at that RPM with OPEN HEADERS!!!! lol

hijack

well since we hijacked this thread, good point Allen

when the trans for the monte was done we called a trans shop out in cali. we gave them all the spec's they asked for engine size, hp, rear end gear and rear tire size. we went with a 700r4 with a 2400 stall( which the trans shop said was a good choice) kept the stock 2.73 gear and the rear tires coming in at 26" tall. in overdrive i turn 1750rpm's running at 65mph. my trans shop said to put a trans temp. gauge in as heat kills a 700r4 so far my trans runs 165 degrees on a hot summer day.

Just put mine on the road tonight after rebuilding the rear end. I went from a 2.73 to 3.55's, and I upgraded to boxed control arms with a sway bar and all poly bushings.

Allen is right it sounded great at cruising speed because I cut off the exhaust just in front of the cross member with plans of adding a new exhaust next.

Heff,

I'm on the hunt about rear gear swapping. I have 2:73 gears in my 12 bolt (non-posi) and am searching for what I all need to order. And from where....?

Due to my cam specs in my 327, via info I recieved from Edelbrock Tech, I need to run a 2500 stall AND should change my gears too. I was told a 3:73 would be optimum for my set up. I don't do a ton of highway miles (who needs a radio when the horses are talking?).

Any hints or links?

Thanks much!

~Tim

I bought my new 3 series carrier (eaton), sway bar, bushings and boxed control arms off ebay. master bearing kit, and 3.55 gear set from summit. I had roughly 900.00 in parts, all the labor was done by me, except for setting up the rear end, that was done by a friend of mine who knows way more about it than I do.

Chad

uh huh.. you drive a v8 for 12 hours buzzing along at 3300 rpm with a horrible exhaust drone and let me know if you still like it.

i'll keep my over drive and 2250 rpm smile

I couldn't handle driving my monte for the hour each eay to leo's and back if it wasn't for my killer stereo system to drown out the exhaust drone @ 3300 rpm..

Heff.. my transmission has a 'stuck' valve in the valve body.. it won't shift into over drive for any reason.. (the trans thinks I have my foot to the floor all the time)

I had the trans shop fix it once under warranty and they still couldnt' get it right, so I'm gonna look at it myself once it gets a little warmer.

After many years of exposure to loud noise, it won't bother you a bit because by then you'll be hearing impaired!