keeps leaking

Guest silent72

Guest silent72

transmission keeps leaking from the dipstick seal. replaced the old seal because it was ripped up and put silicone around it and was fine. although my dumb self should have put high temp silicone instead of just the regular black stuff. i'll put the high temp stuff and see what happens.

Guest silent72

im not sure, im gonna try putting the high temp silicone tomorrow and see what happens. im getting a lil tired of things happening one after another. hey 502ci, did that air intake setup help give a noticeable difference in power?

Silicone and transmission fluid don't mix well. The silicone usually ends up losing. My stock dipstick used an o-ring like Bill is talking about. I have switched to a locking dipstick and it uses a modern style rubber gasket much bigger than an o-ring. That might help you out. My dipstick is by Hughes and has worked/fit very well.

Guest silent72

i've seen a transmission dipstick from mr. gasket, i think this is the one. should i use it? http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails....;minselection=2

also, would there be a reason if the transmission would push the fluid out? because when it leaks, it leaks pretty much everything out, and from where the dipstick is, which is above the pan, is weird that it pukes everything out.

Here's a question for you, is your dipstick seated in the tube (the top where you pull it out) or is slightly popped off every time you drive your car? The reason I ask is are you sure it's not coming out of the top running down the tube and appearing as though it's coming from the botttom as that's where it would drip off.

hey 502ci, did that air intake setup help give a noticeable difference in power?

No not really...I had a thread about it maybe 8 or 9 months ago but can't seem to find it this morning. I'll try and find it later today when I get home from work.

Bill

why would the fluid go back to the top of the dipstick?

Build up of pressure maybe, causing the dipstick to come loose.

Bill

Guest silent72

i found the vent tube, but it looks different from ur pic amsterdam. it was plastic. it did have a cap on it, as if it was supposed to be there. i took off the cap and so far everything seems ok. the reason i took it off is because i looked over the internet for possible problems and someone suggested to take off the cap if it had one. i'll see through these upcoming days how it goes. this is my daily driver/project. so i cant have problems like this.

Did the cap completely block off that tube? When I pulled my TH350 it had the same tube I showed. In your case, if it was completely blocked off, any difference in pressure in the transmission would have to find a different outlet. Sometimes that outlet is either pushing the dipstick tube out or just overflowing out the tube.

Guest silent72

it looked like the cap was blocking it off. but i'll have to see what happens. i drove for about 30- 45 minutes today and it seemed ok.

Have you got the right dip stick? and are you checking the fluid level with the engine _RUNNING_ if a trans is over-filled that will make it puke oil everywhere too.

if you fill a TH to the 'full' mark with the engine off, that's way way way over filled...

Guest silent72

im pretty sure i got the right dipstick, i do check the fluid with the engine running after its warmed up. so far everything's been ok since i took the cap off the vent tube. im still checking it though just in case. the only thing different that i have on the tranny is the pan, its an aftermarket deeper pan to hold more fluid, and also has a drain plug. but like i said, so far its been ok. i'll let u guys know if it happens again.