driveshaft shortening problem... Too short!!

Kevin Wiles

This is on the coke machine

it has a 427 with a T-10 4 spd trans, 12 bolt rear.

Long ago, when i installed the trans, I noticed the driveshaft needed to be shortened.

Somewhere along the measuring process , years ago when i did this, i made an error in judgement/calculation. I have known this ever since and havent done anything about it, but I have never romped down on the car in fear of pole vaulting wink The yoke just looked like it had an abnormal amount of length still sticking out.

To make a long story short, I only have about 1.25 to 1.5 inches worth of total spline contact at the transmission including the half inch of splines that stick out of the tailshaft of the trans. I've been told 2 inches is the minimum.

I may have used too much "pull out" when measuring to prevent bottoming out. In other words, I stuck the yoke in until it stopped, then backed out to prevent it from jamming under suspension load, but I pulled out too far. (??)

I currently have about 1.25 to 1.5 inches of room before it bottoms out.

But I have read that 0.5 to 0.75 is plenty of space. and I have been told that you want at least 2 inches of total spline contact. (again, only have 1.25 to 1.5 now) Would anyone agree that this is sufficient? I would think not.

do i need to shorten another driveshaft, extend this one (probably not) or by some miracle find a slip yoke thats 0.75 to 1.00 inches longer??

there are two sets of bushings inside the tail housing to support that yoke.. if you aren't fully inserted into both rings.. that could be really bad...

Kevin,

Hope this isn't too late. I was looking throuigh an OPGI catalogue and they have yokes in 4 different lengths. This could possibly fix your problem, depending on the length yoke you have now.

Hi Kevin, just some more info for you. Another good place to look is the Inland Empire Driveshaft website, iedls.com

Lot's of info on driveshafts, how to measure, etc. On the left coast they are THE place for driveshafts. David laugh

ps. Your Coke machine is just unbelieveable and totally cool!!