determining rear end

Guest Orangehat44

Guest Orangehat44

Hey guys. I feel silly but i was on my way over to the garage to change tranny and differentail fluid since i havnt done either in my 2 years of owning my monte. And went to look up what lubricants i needed to buy and realized there is different gear oils for standard rear ends or positraction rear ends. Since i never had to look this up and havnt done anything involving the drive line on my car i never deteremined exactly what rear end i have. Is there an easy way to determine which rear end i have. And is there a reccomendation for using one lube if not sure. Can i put posi lube in to play it safe? or do i have to make sure the right lube goes in the right diff.

thanks

Check this page http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/rearaxledecoding.shtml

Also a easy way to tell if it is a posi is to jack it up and turn a wheel, if the other side turns the same way it could be a posi, but if not it still could be a posi with bad clutches... The best way to tell is take the cover off... You would use the same oil, but for a posi you want to add the additive...

Don't you have to remove the rear cover to drain the fluid anyway? I guess you could suck it out the fill hole but what fun would that be.

As a word of caution, be sure you can remove the FILL plug before you drain everything out by removing the rear cover. If it's too rusted to budge, you will never be able to re-fill it!

Good luck,

Bruce