Rear Axle Plug

What style of lubricant plug was used on the rear axle housing for the 72 Monte Carlo? Was it the Male or Female plug? I currently have the Male plug designed for the earlier Posi's with the plastic warning tag on the lubricant plug installed. I'm pretty sure to be correct, the metal warning tag attached to a rear housing cover bolt at the base of the housing. I have both male & female but am not certain which is correct.

Thanx for any advise.

Doug

• 1 month later...

if it is a 10 bolt 8.2 chevy yes plactic tag on the fill plug male 7/16 square (outie)

If you have aopen diff (non posi) you will have the 3/8 female (innie)

IF you have a 1970 with a 8.2 tempest (bolt in axle rear) you will have a posi tag that is metal and hangs off the rear driver side 5 oclock cover bolt.

If you have a standard non posi tempest rear you will have a male 7/16" outie again.

Hope this clears the fill plug deal.

Take care, Jim

Thanks for the info Jim.

I have a 69 Chevelle Malibu 12 Bolt Posi 331:1 I am putting in my 72 Monte. The axle was actually a non-Posi .273:1 before I added the Posi unit to it.

As I had both the metal and plastic tag, I could go either way but wanted to at least give it the correct appearance for the year.

You take care as well Jim.......

Doug

Is there a general rule on posi vs. non posi for 12 bolts as well--meaning does one use a female style plug and the other uses a male plug?

All of my 12 bolts were originally non-posi units and came with female style plugs. I would love to think this was the rule for when looking in junk yards etc!

• 2 weeks later...

Wished I could answer that question Scott,

Maybe someone will chime in that can.

It would be much easier than grabbing the axle code from the tube but even then, had the axle been altered since new?

Doug