Help Installing a Trans Cooler ...

Mike Brichta

Well I just order my first Trans Cooler Kit and since I never installed or had one before, are there any tips/tricks etc. before I attempt to install one?

I have a monte with AC and I am assuming that I can run the new cooler in conjunction with the existing cooler and just mount it in front somewhere. Does that sound ok?

Should I connect the new cooler lines from the lower or upper existing cooler lines?

Got any pics of one already installed?

Thanks!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just to let you know if you look under the following forum section listed below it should answer all your questions.

As far as mounting location, I used 2 brackets included in my B&M kit (made a few simple bends), and mounted the cooler in front of the condensor. Drilled a few holes and mounted the brackets down from the top so the cooler hangs in front of the condensor & it's right behind the grill for excellant air flow. I used foam squares between the cooler & the condensor to protect them. Run your hoses in this order: Tranny to radiator supply, return from radiator to cooler then back to your tranny.

Engine Tech: Transmission Cooler Question

Follow the above advice and you will be good.

I don't have a condensor on my car anymore so I have alot of room in front of the radiator, you should still have quite a bit of room too, I also have a fan on mine I'm not sure if yours does but if it doesn't you will have even more room to mount it. Here's a picture of mine...kinda hard to see but I have two vertical bars/brackets that mount to the upper and lower of the radiator supports, it's about 3" in front of the actual radiator.

The fliud enters the top left (facing the car as in the pictue) and exits the lower left heading back to the tranny.

Bill

img94711.jpg

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. Which line on the existing radiator is the input line, the upper or lower? I would think the hot fluid from the tranny goes into the "upper" line on the radiator and exits from the "lower" line. Is that correct?

Thanks!!

Mike

On TH350 to radiator line routing it is upper-upper and lower-lower. Hot fluid flows from upper fitting from tranny to upper fitting in radiator inner cooler. Cooled fluid flows from lower fitting of radiator inner cooler to lower fitting on tranny. - Dave

BBP is correct. The output of the transmission is on the lower port of the transmission and goes to the lower radiator port. Then upper radiator to add-on cooler and out of cooler to top port on transmission. I went through all of the same questions myself last year.

Mike

Bill (502ci), I installed my tranny cooler 3 days ago just like you did. I'm also using a remote oil filter inline on my tranny loop.

Now I have to decide where to put my B&M engine oil cooler (1/2" ports, built in thermostat to run it's own fan)

It's hard to find cool air & not degrade radiator flow.

Anyone got any ideas?

BBP