Heater Hose Routing on a non-AC 350

BuffaloBillPatri

I am at this point in putting engine back together & don't know which hose goes where?

I have done searches (here & at chevelles.com) on this topic & get different answers.

Most say: "smaller hose (5/8) goes to the intake manifold, and the larger hose (3/4) goes to the water pump"

One guy says: "Chevy hoses always cross" which for my new heater core agrees with the above.

But, quite a few say: smaller hose (5/8) goes to the water pump, and the larger hose (3/4) goes to the intake manifold pump.

Reason being, that hot water from the intake manifold takes up more space, thus seems to make sense & therefore is probably wrong.

Thanks BBP

BBP it comes down to you and which hose you want to go where. Hot water should come from the motor rather it be 5/8" or 3/4" to the heater core and then the opps going to the water pump to cool it back down. I think it would be wise to run 5/8" from the intake and use the 3/4" hose for return.

On both my 70 and 72 350 motors, the smaller fitting is on the intake and the bigger fitting is on the water pump so that is where I put the hoses. My 70 is non-AC and my 72 has AC.

5/8" hose...from intake to smaller port on heater core

3/4" hose...from water pump to larger port on heater core

normally the return line is the same size or larger, hot water comes from the intake, runs to the heater, returns to the water pump and is re-circulated back into the block