12 bolt ring &pinion backlash specs?

bobsmc

Bob, if you get a good pattern with a .011 BL spec, you will be good. That being said, I try to get a .007 or .008 BL spec. Pattern is very important. Too deep or too shallow is a bad thing. Hallowing gears at coast, etc., are recipes for failure. - Dave

i think i will try to get it closer to 7 but the problem is the install kit only came with .015 shim bing the smallest change.

i have .020 .015 .100 thats it.limits the changes.

thanks for the advice

im not in a hurry so i will take my time and get it right.

bob

Bob, if you want somemore supplies, Randy's ring and pinion have always done good for me. I have two boxes of supplies to build 12 bolts.

One other thing, I have started using Richmond's Pinion Spacer instead of the crush sleeve. Very nice piece that helps eliminate the crush sleeve headache. Summit carries this as well as some other shim sizes. I believe the shims are listed under RaTech. Hope your build is successful. - Dave

A spacer would be interesting. I broke my longest 1/2" ratchet trying to tighten my stinkin' crush sleeve! I guess that 3 foot cheater wasn't a good idea!

I actually used a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 5 ft 'extension'... WOW!

The spacer is a great deal!!! The way I was taught to build rear ends eliminated the crush sleeve all together as its purpose is to make sure that the bearings are not over tightened causing too much preload. I went back to using the pinion spacer as a overkill measure. The torque required to crush a crush sleeve is redonk - u - lus. - Dave