rollbar install

CrazyDavey

I've read over the NHRA rules before.. I would definately get that cage inspected by an NHRA tech because I dont' think removeable bars are legal at all in cases where the cage is required...

obviously if you have a cage like that in say.. a 12 second car. nobody will care.. but if you were running 10.0's it would become an issue.

still, it's a nice cage for a fast street car!

I'm pretty sure that the swing out side bars are legal down to probably at least 10.00 anything in the 9's requires a whole lot more safety stuff. I think that the only thing that might be a issue is the removable rear bar. I hope that it's legal because I really like the idea.

well I don't know guys, this seems to be of great controversy but I don't think I'm taking it out just now. What I know is this, Chris Alston Chassisworks has been buiding rollbars for 35 years. I guess I'm way to trusting and I'll get proven wrong but they state their rollbar, swing-outs and removable back bar are NHRA legal. I'll call them tomorrow and go over it with them and see what they say. The rollbar is supposed to be good to 10 flat, anything faster you get into cage county. A "cage" has a halo with bars at the "A" pillars (minimum), totally different from a rollbar.

I ran at Fontana to today, a pretty well know track, at a SCEDA/Super Stock Assoc meet. When I went through tech he inspected my harness for expiration and didn't say a word regarding the rollbar. You know what he dinged me for??? I didn't have metal valve stems in the front wheels!! He said he would give me a break (oh thank you Mr. techman) and let me run this time.

The bad news, I only got to make one run as I think I lost a head gasket.

The good news, my new ProSystems carb seemed to work pretty good. My best 60' dropped from 1.70 to 1.59...my best 1/8 et dropped from 7.48 to 7.19 @ 95 mph....and my best 1/4 dropped from 11.69 to 11.33 @ 118 mph...good thing I got the bar..hope it's legal...woo hoo........ grin

Wow, huge improvement in your times... cool

As far as the roll bar the only thing I questioned was the bar behind the seat and how the door bar clevis was welded on, those swing out door bars are definatley legal and they are legal down to I think 7.50 seconds but don't quote me on that... wink

Wow, huge improvement... cool

As far as the roll bar the only thing I questioned was the bar behind the seat and how the door bar clevis was welded on, those swing out door bars are definatley legal and they are legal down to I think 7.50 seconds but don't quote me on that... wink

yeah Bill that carb it awesome...I'll call those guys tomorrow and discuss things with them, it would be good info. grin

I guess I better get snappy. lol

I'd say the carb worked well also.

Oh and $800 to remove that whole interior and put it back, now I see why it was $800. They done a great job!

those swing out door bars are definatley legal and they are legal down to I think 7.50 seconds but don't quote me on that... wink

I just did some checking and I was correct...a swing out door is NHRA acceptable down to 7.50...although on a bad note in the same article they stated the cross brace must be welded to the main hoop when running 11.49 and faster... frown

Originally Posted By: 502ci
those swing out door bars are definatley legal and they are legal down to I think 7.50 seconds but don't quote me on that... wink

I just did some checking and I was correct...a swing out door is NHRA acceptable down to 7.50...although on a bad note in the same article they stated the cross brace must be welded to the main hoop when running 11.49 and faster... frown

interesting....you don't need anything down to 11.49, wonder why they would even offer it?...so what's a few more welds...guess I'l focus on the new best times... grin

my guess is that removeable roll bar is for the people who want the looks of a 'roll cage' in their street machine smile

Tim, the rollbar isn't removable, just the back brace. This rollbar is good to 10 flat...you only need a cage below that

From my 2008 NHRA rule book (I'm gonna order a 2010 book as soon as they are available)

section 4.10 "Roll Bar" page 77

Quote:

Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop...

Swing out side bar permitted...

that's all that was there that pertains to this topic :>

interesting....you don't need anything down to 11.49

It was worded that way in the article, not sure why though other than than the fact it was talking about convertibles also in the article which needed a roll bar sooner...which come to think of it I think has been changed...maybe I was reading outdated rules... crazy

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
interesting....you don't need anything down to 11.49

It was worded that way in the article, not sure why though other than than the fact it was talking about convertibles also in the article which needed a roll bar sooner...which come to think of it I think has been changed...maybe I was reading outdated rules... crazy

maybe not Bill... I shot them an email last night and kinda complained about it so we'll see what they come back with....