Transmission

Chevyss

I've made my decision to replace the 700R4 that's in the Monte. I keep getting confliction replys on what would be the best for my Monte. One says 350 one says 700, and some say PG. My transmission guy says that a TH 350 would not be good in a car as heavy as the Monte. Power glides are used more in lighter cars. I think that I should go with a TH 400 w/3500 stall and trans brake. Opinions please. I'm hoping to make the right decision on this one. The 700R4 just isn't what I want. I thought I'd see more freeway driving, but it's not going to happen. It will be a trailer queen. More strip that street.

Put the 400 trans in and add the ss454 badges. Not sure if I would go with a 3500 stall, I know my uncle went with a 3000 stall and he doesn't like it. I'm not sure why a trans shop would say not to go with a 350th since thats what most Montes came with unless it was a SS. Now a power glide would be a good choice for an 1/8th mile car. Going for a 1/4 mile car you will need that extra gear which you will get from a th350 and a th400. A 700r4 might be to much for a strip car but you could drive it to the track and back and still get good gas mileage.

I know guys that run TH350's behind 800hp and they beat the crap

out of them. It is all in the pieces parts used.

The guy that built my 700 built those 350's and he recommends a

350 up to 700-800hp.

Are you thinking your 700 won't hold up?

I think you know my choice Royce. TH400 (you need the strength with a big car)..3500 10" 258mm Coan converter (they'll build one to your spec, talk to Craig). That combo has proven itself on the track to me..... grin

Davey;

Do U use a manual valve body? Everyone says that the TH 350 shifts quicker than a 400. Maybe I should just buy one of those 6 speed TCI transmissions. Does your 400 lage between gears??

there is positively no lag in the shifts, any car that runs a big GM motor and has 3 speeds uses a 400 (I've even seen Fords with them). If a 350 shifts faster (which I doubt) it would be so minuscule you wouldn't notice. With an auto trans in the quarter I don't think you want any more than 3 speeds...and who's everyone??....I've run both and I couldn't tell the difference if Allan's life depended on it.... lol

I dont know what engine your planning . If its a s/b and you put in the TH400 you will want lower rear gears as the TH400 has a higher ratio 1st gear than the TH350 . I am not up on TH400 , there might be lower ratio gear sets for the trans . Just more to think about .I hated my first Monte after I swapped the TH350 and put in a TH400 . IT was a 300hp with 2:73 . It was just never right after the trans swap . I didnt realize what I had done till later after I sold the car . I still beat myself up over that .

I think the 350 could work fine, just don't downshift the engine on deceleration, that breaks sprag races on BOTH 350 and 400 trannys. Yes, 400s are stronger, but 350s are not slouches.

Also, the shift points are determined by the springs in the governors, not by the specific transmissions. You can by spring kits to taylor your automatic shift points if you plan on leaving it in drive. As far as any delay in shifts when shifting manually, that is all in how your tranny guy puts the thing together. Most guys will either put a spacer behind the accululator pistons so speed up the shifts or at least stiffer springs. Also, shift kits with fluid passages enlarged will let more fluid flow to speed up the shifts.

I think the 350 could work fine, just don't downshift the engine on deceleration, that breaks sprag races on BOTH 350 and 400 trannys. Yes, 400s are stronger, but 350s are not slouches.

Also, the shift points are determined by the springs in the governors, not by the specific transmissions. You can by spring kits to taylor your automatic shift points if you plan on leaving it in drive. As far as any delay in shifts when shifting manually, that is all in how your tranny guy puts the thing together. Most guys will either put a spacer behind the accululator pistons so speed up the shifts or at least stiffer springs. Also, shift kits with fluid passages enlarged will let more fluid flow to speed up the shifts.

well a 350 certainly could work in Royce's application if he could find someone who can make it do that Scott. With over 560 ft lbs of torque why use something that could work when something that will work is available. There is nothing wrong with a 350 but it's endurance under repeated passes with that kind of torque and tires that hook will be suspect. Anything can break I just think the odds are a bit better with the 400. There could be serious race cars with 500+ci bbk's running 350's out there I just haven't seen one. And Royce, as you probably know, never, ever, downshift an automatic at the end of a run unless you want to put it in the guardrail...

ATI told me that with their 36 element sprag and race assy, you could expect 750 to 800 hp out of a th350 without a problem. My friend who I posted the camaro run of last week runs high 9's on a 350 and it is all steel except the hood, and seats. He has had that same transmission in there for 10+ years and just goes into it once a year to check the clutches etc. Either tranny will work and if a 400 gives a person more peace of mind, by all means use one. smile

I run a 400 and I just noticed in your sig Scott that you run a 350...hmmmm..wonder how this debate got started??... lol

you're right, either one can work, I just thought with a 4000 lb car bigger might be better in this case. Besides your friend makes a 10 bolt work so he doesn't count... grin

I've reading about the 200R4. I've been to his website. Thanks Allan and Mike. I don't believe the car is going to see much expressway anymore. If it goes anywhere it will be in the trailer. Thanks again guys.