D/R Patch

dbreese

Went to the track Fri night for a little t&t and wouldn't you know it I picked up something that caused my drag radial to leak. Noticed it when I got home (10 psi). Flat the next morning. Questions is can you repair a d/r with a patch or will I have to get a new tire?

TIA

David

David, you could always patch and tube it. If you run tubes though, make sure the tire isn't spinning around the rim at low pressures. I think you already know the results of that situation, thus the reason for rim studs. - Dave

Actualy that's a pretty good question. Normally I'd throw one of those "rope" plugs in a tire and not give it a second thought (unless the tire is thin like a 2-ply or we're talking about a sidewall)....but I don't know what the protocol is on repairing a drag tire. I bet you could contact the tire maker and get their suggestion, but you know they are going to err on the side of safety and either tell you to replace it or put a tube inside.

Thanks for all the good info. I'll patch it and let'er eat!!

David

Dave, Dave, Dave.....110+....put tubes in and be safe......I wouldn't trust my life to a patch....I just saw a car at Fontana lose air in the right rear slick at the lights, it was pretty scary.... eek

I guess I should clarify, these are M/T Street drag radials not a full on radial slick. Construction of the tire carcuss is much like a street radial with steel belts but with a soft tread compound to aid traction. Trust me if I had full on slicks bias or radial it would have a tube.

Wallaby the leak should be easy to find. Pump the tire up and take a sponge with a little soapy water slowly wipe around the tire until ya see it bubble.

BTW more parts have arrived for the engine build pistons and crank. I'll try to get by and shoot some pic's. I'm going to be off for around 2 weeks at Christmas so I hope to start on the build.

David

Scratch... Scratch...Scratch... That's the sound of me wringing my chapped hands together in anticipation of your new engine build.

Tommy I think that last youtube I posted (the pinks one) is a 421 sm blk Monte....11.57.... cool