Big Block Headers?

Guest Clutch74

Guest Clutch74

Does anyone know of a company that makes long tube headers for a big block in a first gen monte? I've tried Hooker, Headman and DynoMax but they only make a set for a SB. The SB ones say they fit Chevelle and Monte Caro but the big block ones say they are only for the Chevelle. There is a set of DynoMax on it now that were on it when I got the car, but two tubes had to be bent out of shape to fit around the steering column. If anyone knows of a set for the big block in these cars, I would greatly appreciate any input! grin

I run hooker comps hooker headers with no fitment issues. Hookers are 2 inch tubes, and a 3 1/2 collector. Doug Thorley headers are 1 3/4 tubes with a 3 inch collector. Doug Thorley Doug Thorley's would be a better header for a mild set up.

I have Headman headers on my big block Monte floor shift no Issues. 006-5.jpg005-5.jpg even have room with the control arms. headerandbox003.jpgheaderandbox002.jpg

As for cloumn shift our 70 El Camino has a set of headman's on it as well with no issues dont have any pictures of it. Here is the part # for the headers on the monte I also believe they are the same ones on the El camino HED-68196

Guest Clutch74

Hey thanx for the responces guys. I assume the Hooker Super Comps are the ones for the Chevelle big blocks? My Monte has the factory floor shift so no problems there. She has a 402 with a mild build but I plan to go back through it this spring. She needs rings bad!! And I figured I'd replace the headers while I have her apart. Thanx again!!

Most of these headers say they DON'T work with column-shift.

You guys having good luck with them: anyone have column shift?

I had a column shifter and never even noticed it remotely in the way.

Good catch Allan, I read his response but the word "Super" slipped by me. I can personally confirm that the "Super Comps" will hit on the A-arm and basically would need extensive modifications to fit...I returned a set of the Super Comps and settled for the "Competition" ones. Same size and all but the primaries are not tuned (of equal length).

Good catch Allan, I read his response but the word "Super" slipped by me. I can personally confirm that the "Super Comps" will hit on the A-arm and basically would need extensive modifications to fit...I returned a set of the Super Comps and settled for the "Competition" ones. Same size and all but the primaries are not tuned (of equal length).

ditto

I did the same thing