No reverse with TH 350

Wibbs

I just bought my 1971, needing a wiring repair to get it running. The wiring is complete, and car is running, but I have no reverse. Forward gears work fine. Fluid level is good, and fluid is cherry red.Linkage is adjusted. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance........

Mark

Depends on what you mean by no reverse. Does the transmission just slip when it's in reverse, or you cannot get reverse to engage at all? If you cannot get it to engage, I'd say something is still wrong with your linkage. If it's slipping time for a rebuild.

Thanks for the input. It does not seem like it is slipping. Just nothing. I was thinking along the same lines with the linkage. I will look at it this weekend. It is probably moot anyway, as I have decided to put a new TCI trans in it this spring anyway.

Mark

Did the car sit for a while?

You can try cycling between reverse & drive with the engine running.

drive for 15 seconds, reverse for 15 seconds...give it a couple of

minutes, it may unstick/clear

did you check the flud level with the engine _RUNNING_ ?

warm engine up to normal temp...

slowly shift the trans one gear at a time all theway down to low-1 and back up to park.

with the engine still idling, (IN PARK!!) check the fluid level.

no reverse is usually the first sign that you _REALLY_ low on fluid.

Tim,

Very good explanation of the proper way to check automatic transmission fluid level. Not everyone knows or pays attention to these little things. If I may add one thing, make sure the vehicle is parked on a level surface.

Bruce

Thanks to all for your input. Car had been sitting idle for awhile before I bought it. I drained the trans, added new filter and fluid, now everything seems ok.

Next step.........(sigh) bodywork..........

Good point Bruce.. and t.y smile

as a quick reference... it's not good to run a trans dry...

if you check the fluid level with the engine off.. GENERALLLLLY speaking with a factory style dipstick, the fluid will come up somewhere near the 'twist' in the dipstick.. where it's bowed out... it's not scientific.. but if you aren't well past the 'full' mark with the engine off, you are definately very low. it only takes being 1/2 qt. low to make a TH350 act goofy.