Back half & 4 Link

Guest Phils72

Measure twice cut once. smile It can be done in a garage at home if you take your time. Are you a good welder? I have not done it, but have seen people document it online.

when I got quotes on doing it, it included the axle and suspension

but!!! this was over 5 years ago

do some research, talk to builders, ask them to show you some cars they have done and if possible (and most important) talk to some of there customers!

can you do this in your garage...yes but!!! it should be done on a surface plate (a perfectly flat and level jig for building chassis ) I worked for a guy last year who did this kind of work, if not perfect, your car won't launch straight at that track, or track straight driving down the road, this isn't a modification that you should try to "cheap-out" on, having it done right the first time will actually be less expensive in the long run

It can be done by a do it yourself person. My uncle did it with his 56 Chevy in his yard. The main thing is to make sure everything is squared all measurement are the same left to right. The only picture I have of it mountainviewhighschoolshow025.jpg he went with a ladder bar setup. We have another family member who took a 63 ChevyII and did the same work.marks_nova.jpg. Neither car has a roll cage and the back seat can still be used.

just curious Phil on why you want to back-half the car. Going for a Prostreet look or is this a performance thing? Just remember once you cut the frame you are putting the car into a very specific category of highly modified. That said if it's what you want it's your car.

JMO but unless you have above average mechanical and fab skills it might be a bad idea to try it yourself.

Love to see more pic's of it....Crazy Davey

Guest Phils72

It's a little of bothe performance and prostreet. The car will not hook up at all. I have a friend that ownes a chassis shop helping me with it. Always like to ask others their opinion. If the car was a true SS I wound not mess with it. I plan on doing some racing this summer, "but can't win if you spin". Thanks guys I will keep you updated on the progress.

Pro sreet is cool and I like the look too but it is not the answer if you have traction problems. Many people running 9 seconds and faster with a 10" tire.

I priced out a back half kit for my 71 last year with Chassis Engineering. It was $5000 for the frame, suspension, coil overs, sheet metal work, and a 9 inch housing. Driveshaft, center section, axles, brakes, and wheels/tires were on me.

I went with a set of Mikey ET streets on stock suspension and was quite happy.

Andy