How TO? 331 gears in a 2 series 12 bot

Guest Danny 70SS

Guest Danny 70SS

I have a 70 SS 454 car that came stock with a 256 posi 12 bolt. I am interested in installing a set of 331 gears(which I don't yet have). I have been told that my 2 series posi carrier can be used if I buy a shim for this purpose from NAPA. Can anyone who has rearend experience (no pun intended) advise if this is true and what all needs to be done to complete the process. Thanks!

Danny70SS

I think Rod is talking about the guy that owns this business, he's a member here. If nobody else pipes in here you could email Jim Mitzcke at this website. His screenname here is Monzaz. The website might even have your answer on it, looks like a big site now.

http://www.jdrace.com/

or here's his email listed in his profile here.

mitschke454@windstream.net

Maybe we can get the "Web Site Administrator" to add his info into the "Parts and Services" section? whistle That's the guy though! Good going Phil. I looked over the section and couldn't find Jim's name?

Yes Monzaz(Jim) is one of the guys who is good with rear ends. I will, however, disagree that ring gear shims are a good idea. IMHO, you are beggin for trouble by using a different series carrier and a ring gear shim. The "rear end guru" that taught me how to setup rear ends told me to "never use a ring gear shim, period".

If you are going to go through the trouble of tearing into a rear and changing gears and can't use or afford the correct carrier, don't bother. Your wasting your time.

Rear end spec tolerances are so close that the use of a ring gear shim is playing with fire. The other problem is, does the guy doing your work even know how to set up a rear properly to begin with, let alone throwing a ring gear shim into the mix. I know Jim will argue this point with me but, I stand by my "no ring gear shim" stance, just like I don't like "rear wheel hub shims" either. - Dave

Yes Monzaz(Jim) is one of the guys who is good with rear ends. I will, however, disagree that ring gear shims are a good idea. IMHO, you are beggin for trouble by using a different series carrier and a ring gear shim. The "rear end guru" that taught me how to setup rear ends told me to "never use a ring gear shim, period".

If you are going to go through the trouble of tearing into a rear and changing gears and can't use or afford the correct carrier, don't bother. Your wasting your time.

Rear end spec tolerances are so close that the use of a ring gear shim is playing with fire. The other problem is, does the guy doing your work even know how to set up a rear properly to begin with, let alone throwing a ring gear shim into the mix. I know Jim will argue this point with me but, I stand by my "no ring gear shim" stance, just like I don't like "rear wheel hub shims" either. - Dave

ditto

remember the old Fram TV commercial....you can pay me know or you can pay me later

BTW....don't use Fram filters either lol