Glass Scratch Repair

My rear quarter windows have some noticeable scratches on the exterior eek. They kind of follow the movement path of the window, likely from being moved up and down for 38 years with power windows; possibly made worse by dirt/grit on the inside of the roof seal. If I run my fingernails I can clearly feel a depth to the scratches. Any fix to this or am I left to search for replacements? I don't really want new because they will probably make the door ones look bad, but the scratches are ugly.

Not sure if it works but I seen a kit on "trucks" a few months ago that you can use to polish windshields and other glass with. On the show it looked like it worked pretty good. I think they said it was from Eastwoods. If you get it let me know how it works because I need to do all the glass for my monte.

Interesting, I think I'll have to give those guys a call and see if they can convince me this is worth the money. I'll post back with results if I decide to give it a shot.

Thanks for the help

I have the same issue with my driver door glass. Heavily scratched. I bought a pair of used tinted door glasses to replace them with but if I could salvage the originals that would be great!

Funny, I ran across this & was telling Greg about it ( silly me thinking I was going to tell him something car related he did not know! rofl ).

Anyhow, he bought it a few years back & said it did not work.

Maybe they improved it or something but he would not waste his money again.

I used to work for a distribution center for windshields and door glasses and we used jewellers rouge buffing compound. It works well on windshields to get scuffs and small scratches out on a large sanding wheel but did not work well with tempered glass. It is very difficult to properly buff the curve of the glass and most of the time ended up with badly distorted glass.

I was told if you can feel it with your fingernail, it's too deep to buff out.

Thanks for the additional input guys, I don't think I will go with that kit. I am considering a replacement set from a 1970 in a nearby junk yard. Saw them a while back. They are not perfect, but the scratches don't seem to be as bad as mine.

Either that or start driving with the windows down all the time. cool

You know they have that glass chip repair stuff; a kind of super glue that is injected into glass chips? I wonder if that stuff could be used for surface imperfections...like heavy scratches or sand chips?

Just curious.

• 4 months later...

If you give leo a call, i'm sure he can set you up with some nice replacement qtr windows. and since they're used, they might not 'stand out' so badly that they are replacements.. make sure you have your tint codes handy tho so they do match!

There will be an M-xx.x number in the PPG or LOF logo on the glass that is the tint code.

could be like an M71 or M72 or an M22.5 and I can't remember the 4th one.