Grille emblem panel

72Monte

As par for the course, my 1972 Grille emblem has faded and needs help. I know there are reproduction units available out there, but I found a 1971 emblem with the helmet plume broken off, the red panel is very nice. I am wondering if anybody here knows of a way to remove the panel from the chrome emblem without damaging the emblem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

good luck with getting it apart in one piece.

they used something very strong,ive tried a few times with no luck.

My thinking is something to defeat the adhesive without melting away the plastic.....i just don't know what would do that.

I tried it 2x. I used a pocket knife alittle each time working around the emblem prying it up very little at a time. I was able to get them both off but i did crack one. Didnt break it, just cracked it. After i painted them and let them dry for a few days i used a small dab of GE kicthen and bath silicone to hold the plastic cover in place. Make sure you put enough silicone in to squeeze it out the first time, you dont want to try and take the plastic off again.

Just go slow with the utility knife and very little preasure

i must of went around it 7 or 8 times before it came loose enough to slide the blade under enough to lift it.

It isn't going to give up easy. I tried the same project and had zero luck finding a way to get the adhesive to yeild.

I tried solvents, and I even tried heat, but nothing seemed to help. I was certain I was going to break it if I pried any harder so I stopped.

Maybe the trick is to boil it for 7 minutes....

I too have tried and had no luck removing it. The one I was trying on wasn't in that great of shape, but it didn't break or crack like plastic. It shattered like glass!

Good luck, tell us how it went.

Hmmm.. I've considered doing this too. I have 72 emblem that has fadded to almost clear and the one on my 70 emblem is missing... Was thinking I could get it out and paint it and swap it over...

The Monte's been in the family over 28 years and never remember the red part being there on my 70.