Insturmentation Circuit Board

Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I was able to take the Monte for a late evening drive. In fact was the first time have driven her at night. I noticed a couple of the insturment panel lights were not working. Today I pulled the dash pad to replace the Amp Gauge lamp and did not iluminate. Also the lower lamp for the clock was replaced & did mot iluminate. I'm going to pull the Insturment Panel tomorrow and check the circuit board for breaks.

I know the speedo cable needs removed from the panel and the procedure so was wondering if this is going to be a real pain to do.

Also, never had the Insturment Panel out before and any tips would be great. If a new circuit board is needed any sure bets on where to buy? I'm sure there are several places but any one in particular that stands above the rest? It is a factory Tach optioned car.

Thanx for any input.

Doug

Hey Doug, First off I would unhook the battery that way nothing gets shorted out. you could change the bulbs with the cluster in from lyeing on the floor looking up on drivers side other than that there are somw things you will have to undo as you encounter them, some monte clusters or chevelles for that matter had the headlight switch grounded out by the cluster which would require 3 1/4inch screws to be removed from the wiper switch and one tail one that would go across from that and another screw located on the dash frame around the steering columb area. There will also be a black ground wire that will need undoing as well attached just to the bottom right corner of the Tach housing in a 1/4 screw too. Then undo the plug main for the power feed that plugs into cluster next to amp gauge, squeeze in ends and wiggle back forth to get loose...Dont pull as you may pull out wires going into the plug.. The speedo as you mentioned would need to be pulled ...easy access under columb when plate cover is removed and reach above columb around ignition switch area with index finger and push release collar at the bottom in towards the cluster and it should pop out an inch and then your good there....the orange wire for the clock needs too be pulled off and then remove the 1/4 inch screws across the top of cluster and around beside amp gauge and then 2 down by columb one on each side and then around again by heater switch...Last but not least the wiring harness will have arrow clips holding it attached to the top of the cluster too. needle nose pliers squeeze those out nice and then remove cluster slowly but surely watching speedo cable is undone and then you can change bulbs.A new circut board can be bought at a lot of places but I got mine at Year One......the other bulbs that are already burnt are probably due to one being burnt out or a bad ground and the other is around the amp gauge the copper circut is probably broken in that curve area at bulb.....comman in every monte and chevelle.....hopefully that covers it if not ask away and someone else will chip in as well or I will again......Good luck Doug............Darren.

• Like 1

Appreciate the help Darren,

I tested the bulbs by running jumpers from bulb socket to the battery to ensure bulbs were good and they were. I considered testing the circuit board and see if a ground in the board was broken & possibly running a jumper. Hey, if I have to take it out, only makes sense to replace it before the next break happens.

Since I purchased her, I have spent the last 3+ years repairing/replacing 35 years of neglect. I was suspicious the gauge lighting was not fully optimized and had been avoiding it til now. Geez, had to pull the dash pad and driver side speaker just to get to the Amp gauge light socket! It ws no picnic pulling/replacing the lower clock socket either.

I really don't like dealing with OPGI anymore so will check Year Ones site. Will see what kind of a time frame for delivery Year One offers. May try Super Chevy here in Portland Monday to see what they have to offer.

Still got a lot of cleaning to do before the WM but not having fully functional Insturmentation lighting bothers me. I have replaced & repaired a bunch of faulty lighting & this should make at least this portion whole again. I think I can accomplish both if demands at work lessen.

Thanx again for removal detail Darren. I know it's going to save me some headaches.

I haven't had much free time keeping up on everyone who is attending the WM. If you are attending, hope to meet you there.

Regards,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Dash is out! I did not mention this is a A/C car so the degree of difficulty increased substantially. Found a few problems along with the bad circuit board that needed corrected as well. Dash had previously been removed by all indications. Possibly to replace heater core. Will attempt replacing dash Saturday.

Will advise when back in.

Doug

Finally it's DONE!

Just finished installing the dash pad today after some mods to the dash clips to hold them in place. Did a little paintinjg touch up and some polishing to round out the day as well.

Didn't think it would ever be done.

First OPGI sent a defective quartz repop clock and didn't have another in stock. The Parts Place overnighted me one and was incorrect for the year (1972). Painted the back white from green and the connector stud was to long with the nut securing the terminal to fat! Cut down a stud and found a thin nut to correct interference. So much for being a direct replacement!

There was a broken mount on the insturment panel and made a bracket to secure panel. All the A/C Heater ducting foam was missing, so fashioned new seals for connections. Removed & cleaned the plastic cover for gauges and replaced the A/C Heater lense. Also put in the driver/passenger side vents with the shut-offs for a 1970 model. Replaced and added screws that were missing when pulled. Circuit board was bad and replaced it. Emergency flashers were not working and fixed them.

Now have everything electrical working and illuminated except for Map light and Rear defogger. Both were working and now have to trace their problems. But all in all, I'm very happy with all these repairs. Still have the A/C to get repaired and car will be whole.

I know it takes pic's to seal the deal so here are a couple as proof of this venture.

100_2333.jpg

DASH REMOVED

FINISHEDDASHREPAIR.jpg

DASH REPAIRED, READY FOR INSTALL

100_2353.jpg

DASH INSTALLED

100_2354.jpg

NEW A/C HEATER LENSE

Thats it folks! Rest of time will be spent spiffing up for the WM.

All have a GREAT day......

Doug

• Like 1

That looks great Doug, An A/C dash....oh boy...If I had known I could have given a different run through on removal...sorry about that....Let me know how the Maplight Mirror and Rear Defrost work out for you if not I have a spare rear view maplight mirror and wireing and also a Defrost motor and dash switch with bezel too if needed...Plus I have a full GM wirng and hose Diagrame for A/C cars 70-72 to show where they all go as well....Once again looks great Doug..............Darren,

Yeah Darren,

Should have mentioned earlier it was a A/C car. I seem to always forget the important details! I learned with A/C, any room that was available without the A/C is gone!

I had to fix both the defogger and map light previously so it should'nt prove a big deal but thanks, if I find the need I will let you know.

I did misalign the clock. It is slightly negative of being straight up and down but it is what it is now. Wished I had planned it better so that I could have spent more time cleaning backside of dash but with so little free time available, I had to prioritize the needs and disregard the wants!

I found a very good A/C guy and plan on having him check it out later in the Fall. The 2 previous attempts to find out why it won't hold a charge failed. Just need some expertise on trouble shooting this one.

Thanx for the props. Makes me feel secure knowing that this portion is completed and dependable. At some point I'm hoping I can just kick back and enjoy it. Hopefully during the WM!

Have a good one.....

Doug

• 4 years later...

Hi John.

I would advise to take as many pics with dash cover off at different angles above and below as possible.  When you go to put it all back together, those photos will be invaluable in getting all back to right location(s).

If you have a good photo rendering software program (I use Microsoft Digital Imaging), you can create folders where you have sorted out those pics specific to regions.  For example, if you have A/C, you will want good pics showing the electrical and the vacuum.  The instrument panel electrical is another where good reference pics would be beneficial.  By having those as an example in their own folder makes it much easier to identify photos for that area. 

I think you get my drift. ;)

Just be patient and methodical as it is a bit of an undertaking, so take your time if you have it and all will work out.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Doug

Great in progress and project complete pictures. Don't ya just love it when you tear that much apart and everything works when you turn the key!!

Rob

Doug. In your very first picture dash removed. Where the steering column is, what is the material on the fire wall. Looks like the harness is coming thu. Is that like a mylar or just the picture. Looks like some kind of blocking.

Carl

Hey Carl,

I don't know the name for the material but as near as I can determine, is basically a dust/weather shield that appears only to help protect instrumentation panel from as stated.  I thought about looking thru the Assembly Manual to see if a better description/use but I had loaned it out.  If available, check thru it and see if a good description is offered.  This was done back in 2010 and my memory is a little vague on texture/material. :blush:

Doug