doing 383 stroker. cant pass up

BigBlockMonte

Hey all, I know you all want me to do a BB in the chevelle. I have a deal I don't know if I can Pass up.

383 Stroker Forged Rotating Assembly (-4cc flat top pistons)

Aluminum Heads (220cc runners) 64cc CNC'd Chambers)

1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers

10:5:1 Compression

Quick Fuel 750 Carb

Edelbrock Air Gap Intake

plus the oil pump, pan, double roller timing gear, timing cover, & gasket kit. need fuel pump, valve covers, etc. little stuff.

Buddy of mine just bought this stuff new, its sitting in boxes, and now he has a bad money situation, and called me up cause he knows i was on the fence and offered all this to me for 1,500.00.

I'll have to choose a cam, he didn't get that far. I think I'm gonna have to try and make the 383 work.

You all remember what I wanted something that will go down the 1/4 mile in between 110 & 115 mph.

I can raise the rear end gear from the 3:31 in it to a max of 3:73.

Just need help choosing a camshaft that will work with that compression and head size. Thanks everyone. Let me know. I'm getting anxious.

Sounds like a really good deal although the heads may be a tad big (220 cc runners) for every day street use but at the track with the right cam and converter that thing will scream! IMHO I'd pull the trigger.

David

what cam would you use with those heads. Should I swap them out for a set of 195 heads. only since I'm not paying so much for everything, or maybe not even take them and give him like a grand.

still need to know what cam to use either way. 220cc head or smaller.

Thanks for the reply.

what cam would you use with those heads. Should I swap them out for a set of 195 heads. only since I'm not paying so much for everything, or maybe not even take them and give him like a grand.

still need to know what cam to use either way. 220cc head or smaller.

Thanks for the reply.

A set of 195's or even 200 would work well for a DD and still get your mph goal. As far as the cam I would call Comp, Lunati, Crower, Chris Straub this guy knows his stuff He post here sometimes but is on the Team Chevelle website in the performance sectionand also Cammotion. Just be honest with what you plan to do with the car and give them all the info you can on the engine, gear, converter and so on. My current hydro flat tappet with 1.6 in 1.5 exhaust along with my 200cc heads had me mph at over 108 mph in the 1/4. Best I can recall it was .512 @ 230 something and 490 somthing at about the same duration @ .050

David

They're the New revised pro-comp heads. They're from skipwhite performance. Called him up, they said they don't use Pro comps springs and hardware, they get them as bare castings then install their own parts.

They have 210 runners, 64cc CNC'd chambers.

Do you guys really think this engine will make this heavy car go 110-115 mph in the 1/4. Without being a radical mess on the street.

My budget says get it, But I know you all say get a BB.

Like Scott was saying with the suggestions he made on cam converter and gears and getting the car to hook ( A whole other thing to tackle) yes you will meet your goal. Make sure you don't skimp on the converter that is a big key to the overall combination. ATI, Coan( 10" 3600 stall is what I have) just to name a few. There are many other good converter companies out there.

David

well guys, here I am back on the fence again. I did some thinking about running that high of a stall speed, and running a 3:73 gear on a 28" tall tire will put my rpms at 3000 at 60mph or so.

Soooooo. even though its cheap, now I'm seeing why so many people are telling me to get a BB for the car. I did bid on this set-up. I lost the auction, but the next day the guy gave me a second chance offer. I bid 2,550.00 on it. shipping would be approx 400-500.00. This is rediculous, one of the hardest things to do is decide on this. anyway heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230508188081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cool. my choices are either the 383 stroker with the combo listed earlier with a very maximum of a 3:73 gear. or the 496 stroker long block I had listed on the previous page from a guy named clewwho40. I talked to him about changing the keith black hyper pistons to the probe forged pistons for the additional $300.00. Long block shipped to me would be $3100.00.

I figured everything up the 383 stroker will cost me $5100.00 for everything new, Machine work, an ATI converter, Eaton Posi, Richmond 3:73 gear. This would be a complete turn key engine with the drivetrain as well.

The 496 will cost me $5800.00. This is also with everything new, including the eaton posi & keeping the 3:31 gear in it now.

remember both engines I will doing from scratch. I didn't want to pick the existing engine in the chevelle now.

for the additonal $700-800.00 it seems it only makes sense to do the BB.

The reason the SB is even close to the cost of the BB is because the block I have is an 87 block. Its a flat tappet cam block, but has the provisions to do a roller cam.

So it boils down to roller cam 383stroker or flat tappet cam 496.

decisions.

Tell us more about the 496, or add a link so we can check it out. That seems very cheap. Is the 496 built already? Is it going to be balanced? What heads?

I think you'll enjoy driving a torquey 496 around with 3.31 gears much more than a 210 runnered 383 with a big HR cam and 3.73 gears. Especially if you plan on driving it any distance.

Here's the link that I bidded on, I bid 2275.00, and someone bid $2300.00 right after, didn't have enough time to counter bit. Next day I get a second chance offer on it. Call the guy up. His name is Allen. Tells me he strongly suggest doing the forged pistons (extra 300.00) 4 bolt main block (750.00 extra) & forged crank (extra 700.00) for a bullet proof bottom end. Also suggest doin the fully CNC'd heads (650 extra). I don't think I need to do all of that for a 80% cruising car/sprited driving & maybe a half a dozen times a year takin it to the local 1/4 mile & 1/8th mile track. It would be a grand total of $4675.00 plus the 400.00 to ship it to me. $5075.00 to me, Then I got spend another 2k on all the accesories to make it turn key. That's way way way past my budget.

Anyway heres the link to the motor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230511082547&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks guys. Why is this such a tough decision? I'm not having fun.

Not sure this is going to help you any but, My Comments / Opinions

Quote:
Tells me he strongly suggest doing the forged pistons (extra 300.00)

Agreed on this one, only because as I've learned Hyper / Cast pistons in a stroker motor have a bad rep of having skirt breakage issues. Going forged allows for additional upgrades in the future. i.e. power adders.

Quote:
4 bolt main block (750.00 extra)

Are you planning on power adders like N02? If not, a 2 bolt main correctly prepped is plenty strong enough to handle up to a 700 HP build.

Quote:
& forged crank (extra 700.00) for a bullet proof bottom end.

IMHO that seems like a big jump in price between cast vs forged, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Also suggest doin the fully CNC'd heads (650 extra).

I don't want to comment on that, not with out some sort of dyno comparison between the Non CNC vs CNC he is trying to sell you, IOW are the CNC heads making that much extra power in his build to justify the price tag?

Quote:
I don't think I need to do all of that for a 80% cruising car/sprited driving & maybe a half a dozen times a year takin it to the local 1/4 mile & 1/8th

There's part of the key to you're questions, add in what sort of power levels you are looking for, the possible use of power adders, how hard the engine is expected to rev, and you should be able to come up with a better idea of what your needs are.

An oh, yes, You are having fun...you just don't know it yet. grin

called him up told him what i wanted, told him I had 4k to spend now. told me it would be impossible to build a motor to propel the chevelle to 115mph for 4k. Said he could do one for 4900.00, I would have to get a carb, headers, & pulleys to be turn key. Told me that motor would do 115mph in a chevelle.

Where is he spending that extra $900?

A different set of cylinder heads maybe?

I'm just thinking that maybe you could have him start at the bottom and start working his way up until you run out of funds and run it that way..then later you can add the easy stuff on top as funds become available? [eg. cylinder head upgrade]. Of course that isn't going to work if the extra expense needs to go into the bottom end.

Then again it sure would be nice to have it all done right the first time...

no sir. that engine comes with cast heads. price is 4995.00. seen it on his webiste. produces 570hp 580torque. I'll have to purchase waterpump, headers, carb, dipstick, pulleys & a fuel pump. maybe a few other misc items to make it turnkey. which will push it closer to 6k.

I guess what your paying for is not the parts being used, but his knowledge of combinations.

With good builders, you get (theoretically) better part checking like checking for bent cranks, cracked cylinder heads, cracked blocks, and then better machining practices as well. I have looked at the ebay companies, and of course they all sound great, but I would hesitate to go with one simply because I don't know anybody who has used them. With companies that are recommended by guys on this forum, or the Chevelle forum, many of the guys have actually had experiences with and used the vendors they are recommending.

Just food for thought.

that's true. reason for even considering this clewwho guy, is my buddy just built a nova using his motor and said it was very quality work, and when the engine was completed if performed above expectation. If it wasn't for his comment on this clewwho guy, I wouldn't even think twice about him. Seems like a good guy when I spoke to him. But everyone is nice when they want your money.

that's one of Marks specialities, getting big power out of cast heads..he's known for that...just FYI....like Scott said it's tried and true combo's and track record is everything...