First time..

jim's 70

Well, it looks like I will be doing my first rear rebuild/upgrade. Not by choice, the rear in my 99 Tahoe has had enoungh....clunking noises are never good lol. While I am at it, I plan to upgrade to a posi unit of some sort just for the fun of it. Any tips, pointers, harassment, any kind of input is welcome. I'll just call it practice for when I step the monte up to 3:73's lol

Jim

Hey Jim, it is not hard, just takes time and some thinking. I have set up 5 or 6 and the best one I've ever done was my last one and the difference was that I used one of Ratech's pinion depth setting tools. This is a pre-measured tool to help get your pinion depth as accurately set as possible.

Here is the tool. You'll have to get one specifically for whatever rear end you have in the Tahoe.

rat-10003.jpg

I also use a set of set-up bearings to allow me to use some trial and error fitments to the pinion like Winston showed in his recent rear end rebuilding thread. If you spend a little extra and buy or make the setup bearings, and get that rattech tool, you will (I think) be thankful later.

Oh, one other thing. . . When you have the carrier bearings pressed on or when you do it yourself, make sure they slide ALL the way onto the carrier. Otherwise the backlash will change as you drive it and you'll potentially ruin the gears. A friend had that happen--nothing got ruined but it cost him time to take it back apart and 2 quarts of lube lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jim , couldnt you snag a rear from a 99 Suburban or Escalade that would have a posi in it already that could bolt in a whole rear end into the 99 Tahoe to be quicker..??? you said any input right...as we swap 10's and 12bolt rear posi's out of our chevelle's and monte's......Darren.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...it's apart...and it ain't pretty. Missing about 5 teeth off the ring gear and the left side carrier bearing sheared off the carrier....never seen that before....so it basically needs every thing. Maybe I'll grab the wifey's camera and take some pics of the carnage tomorrow (mine had an unfortunate encounter with a tile floor). Gotta price everything out tomorrow, but hoping a posi upgrade is in the budget.

As for finding a used axle...the yard I deal with pretty much laughed when I asked....apparently they all blow up, but he did offer to rebuild mine for 800, and from what prices I've looked at online, it's not that horrible considering what the parts are goin for....we shall see what tomorrow brings lol

Jim, if you need a used axle versus going $240 for a new set of Mosers or Superiors, let me know. I am building one of my spares some time next week I am keeping one for a spare which means the other will get the word Jim written on it with Silver Sharpie. I use the silver one for autographs and bacically goes unused.

Andy

$800 isn't a bad price. Does it come with a warranty? By the time you buy the gear set and have to come up with the proper shims for the pinion and side gears, it may be worth it in the long run.

I've rebuilt several at work with new gear sets and the price out between $1000 and $1200. Just a thought.

Well, through some wheeling and dealing, I will be upgrading to a refurbished posi carrier, new gear set/ bearings/ seals and install kit for 525. Now as long I can set it up right..life will be good lol

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...finally got all the parts together.

I did not buy the recetech tool....and to be honest..this thing is going together tomoorow night one way or the other....before I pull the old pinion gear out...what measurements should I be taking?? I have something in mind....but want the input of those that have done this brfore

Thanks Guys

I will tentativly call it a success......got it all together and went for a 15 mile test run...no noises, vibrations...nuttin!! Call me the happy camper. I do have to repace the cover though. After going for a ride, i noticed a drip. It does have some dents from the schrapnel when it blew up...I just didn't notice the pin hole frown