MSD Distributor

Shadow Gray SS

I know I read on here about having to change the distributor gear

sometimes but I can't find the thread.

What is the story with that, I am gonna be switching to the MSD

soon and want to be sure I don't skip anything.

Also, the issue I am having with the car not starting appears to

be a bad module on the HEI that's in there.

If you are running a cast cam you should be fine with the gear that comes on the distributor. If you have a GM roller cam motor you should run a melonized gear. If you are running a billet roller a bronze gear or a polymer gear. They say the polymer gears last longer than bronze but cost more. My billet cam was custom ground on a stick with a pressed on cast iron end #5 bearing and gear. No need for special distributor gear.

get an MSD #8360 that's the ProBillet Ready-to-run, it hooks up just like an HEI. power and tach, and two coil wires. since it's not coil-in-cap.. run it with a Blaster2 coil and you are ready to rock.

If you want to use an MSD6 or similar, get the probillet that's not labeled "ready-to-run" it's about $100 cheaper, and REQUIRES an MSD box of some kind. (MSD 6, 6A, 6AL, 6AL-2, 7 etc)

another option although pricey, is the E-curve like Ert uses. set your timing curve with dials and has a built in rev limiter. I'm not sure how this would work with an MSD box. this also eliminates the traditional vacuum advance can if appearance is an issue.

Picture of my #8360 installed:

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/Engine/newvacline.jpg

Sweet jake.. That's an even better setup then I suggested. I didn't think about you letting the EFI control the timing.

that's the basic GM TBI ignition setup with that coil.. simple but reliable. I'm guessing the TPI engines might have used it too.

I know in the manual for the e-curve it shows a msd box being used and how its done.

ahh that's cool ert. i figured it could be done. just wasn't sure about how.

I wasn't sure about what was correct for my engine so I called MSD. They told me that their distributor comes with a melonized gear attached.

Must be true, I got the same answer when I called them about my Pro-Billet distributor. So far, it works great with the roller cam...