Engine missing, Paranoia

LuckyKenny

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get an automotive stethoscope from Harbor Freight for like $3.

make sure she's not tapping.. if you are eating a camshaft that'll do the same thing.

I suspect you have some ignition wire issues along with that one cylinder obviously burning A LOT of oil.

I hope to god it's not the cam

The wires are pretty new and the cap and rotor are too.

I looked underneath the cap tonight and it's pretty clean

I wonder if northern tool would have a stethoscope like that.

If it was the cam, would it go in and out like that?

Check your wires CLOSELY. what brand are they?

I had Accel wires, and I checked and re-checked them and couldn't figure the miss out.. then one day, on a totally unrelated mission, I took the wires out of their looms to clean them, and found that the insulation had broken inside the loom clamps, and the wires were arcing to ground inside the clamps where I couldn't see it...

if you aren't using a brand name wire, I HIGHLY recommend Taylor wires. Sam (Bones) has good things to say about MSD wires too. I've never used them myself however (I went with the taylors because of the choice in colors)

yes I know the plug wires were burnt (more accel junk)

but you can see where the wires are clamped in those black plastic blocks, that's where they broke..

pluglooms.jpg

All of it's Mallory wires, the cap and rotor included with a super stock coil.

I mean new as in 7 months old

Before i even owned it

21852_108327815846567_100000080460921_21

Here's a picture from when i was redoing the heads

25319_109884462357569_100000080460921_25

here's just now

IMG_0185-1.jpg

nal-19201330_w.jpg

But the fuel pump might not fit grin

I would think if you are fouling only one plug you may have bad rings on that one cylinder.. Try running the engine at night with the hood open and see if you can see any arching from the wires. You can lightly spray them with water to see if it gets worse...

unnf.. mallory.. not to pee on your parade, but my experiences with Mallory stuff haven't been positive. not much better then accel to be honest frown

Mallory is the only company I know of that produces a solid-state hei-type distributor that still requires a ballast resistor..

and then doesn't explain that in the doc's until you fry the module and have to order another one at $60 a pop (ask me how I know)

All of it's Mallory wires, the cap and rotor included with a super stock coil.

I mean new as in 7 months old

Before i even owned it

21852_108327815846567_100000080460921_21

Here's a picture from when i was redoing the heads

25319_109884462357569_100000080460921_25

here's just now

IMG_0185-1.jpg

it got darker.....that's a bad sign eek ...it needs sunlight and chicken soup immediately.....hey Kenny, there's this new thing out called....headers....they're in all the catalogs.... grin

btw kenny.. I'm not saying Mallory IS junk.. just that I've not had good luck with them.. I don't want to put anybody's car down.. just trying to share my plus's and minus's with ya smile

Lol no i know exactcly what your saying.

I've gone through 3 modulators already.

It was so aggravating, out of no where the car would die, for absolutely no reason what so ever lol.

I'm going to take it to my friends shop if i can't figure out what the hell is wrong with it by the end of the week.

Mallory is about as good as great value soda compared to fresh crisp coca cola

ick be careful.. 0.060 is pushing it for a small block! if that block has any coreshift at all .060 will punch thru the waterjacket.

if you have to go .060 make sure you have that baby sonic tested for thickness.. and be ready to buy a new block!!

(expect the worst, hope for the best, that way you will always be pleasantly surprised)

i got lucky.. my block is a 'numbers correct' block for my monte wink

it's a 350 2bbl block from a 1970 monte carlo :>

not that I really care.. i found this out long after I built the engine and put it in the car lol

but it's kinda cool.

I have what should be a numbers correct 72 block in my 70. It came out of a 72. still has a std bore. but could probably use a trip to the machine shop. I'm thinking when I do that I am going to find me one of the newer roller cam blocks.