Rear tire upgrade

montique

im looking into either buying M/T drag radials or the Hoosier Quick time Pros. has anybody ran these, have any pros and cons. i was going to go with the drag radials but i here there they can be hit or miss, mostly a street car maybe see track 5 times a year.

Tyler if you're going to use them on the street get the M/T Drag Radials. The Quick Time Pro's are DOT approved for class racing only and are not legal for street use...Dave

ditto

You might even want to look at the BF Goodrich Drag Radial (first picture) versus the Mickey Thompson (second picture). It's plain as day which tire you would rather get caught driving in the rain with. I have the BF Goodrich ones and can say they handle very well in a rain storm as well as some decent grip at the track. I hear the Mickey Thompson tire has better traction at the track but is that worth the 5 times a year for you? My Dad has the M/T on his 87 Grand National that he drives around on all Summer but avoids a rainy day like the plague.

bfg-54462_w.jpgmtt-3754r_w.jpg

well i have the bfg drag radials on there now. the best 60 was a 1.77 and that was creeping out of the whole, never could launch it hard. the M/T sounds like the best option, i understand regardless i will still have to dial in the suspension with a better tire. it has strange single adjustables out back, UMI adjustable uppers solid lowers and 12in 150lb springs out back.

that's a good start on suspension Tyler. 1.77 is about where my wife's Monte was. I have been playing and learning about these 4 link cars for the past year and a half and they respond very well to simple changes. The Chevelle has gone from 1.80's down the 1.42's during that time. On the Monte's last outing I added some 3 way adjustable shocks to the front, unhooked the front swaybar and added an air bag to the right rear coil (set at 15 lbs) and it went right to a 1.66.

Any raidal drag tire is an excersise in trial and patience. They are very sensitive to temp and air pressure. Once you get them to hook they are awesome but if they're not right they suck. M/T's for example do not like big smokey burnouts and like air pressure. Most of my friends who are running them use between 18 and 24 lbs.

I am not selling one over the other but I can tell you that no one who is class or bracket racing uses the BFG tire at the track....just my experience....I mis-spoke regarding the the Hoosier Quick Time Pro tires, they are LEGAL but not recommended for Highway use...Dave

i run the m/t drag radial. its very sensitive at the track. on the street, any car with power will smoke any tire, even slicks. so if it was me, i would get a set of slicks for the track and keep your bfg drag radial for the street.

thanks for the comments, im going to go with the hoosiers and keep the bfg for street use, the 1.77 still had the front sway bar on and the front end is really tight. looking into buying some santhuff front springs. just need to get it weighed.dave which shocks did you put on the front of the monte.

I have tried the BFGs, the Mickey radials, and the Nitto Extreme Drags. The BFGs seemed to hate the track the most but are head and shoulders above the rest in the rain. And no one can outrun the South Florida summer rains. The Mickeys seemed to hook the best at the track. Going for a 1.50 60 Weds night. Nitto? Not sure what they were thinking. They suck in the rain and at the track on my Malibu. Gimme back my $196 Nitto.

I actually was giving up on the Mickey ET Streets two weeks ago until I figured out I blew the seal out of the right rear shock. And the air bag for that matter. On Oh Crazey Ones advice I picked up a better set of shocks than the old Moroso 50/50s that were on it. Starting to show my age a little. Went thruogh Bus folder and found I put those shock on in 1999. And get this. In 2000 I put a set of Centerline Convo Pros as the were THE rim to have ten years ago. Now I am nothing but old school with those rims.

Andy

granted I don't make the power youz guyz do.. but I jut run a basic BFG Radial T/A on the street.. they hook up great with just a tiny little burnout on the street. My local track back in michigan.. you could forget hooking up with ANYTHING but a full on drag slick.. I guess it's something to do with the way they prep it *shrug*.. only guys that got anywhere on street tires were the 17 seconds and slower crowd.

I got a set of lightly used 26x10 M/T ET-Drag's and 15x8 wheels for a steal and they rock at the track :>

gmm-caddyshack.jpg

Hey I hear this club is restricted... just give me some of those cylinder heads, one of those carburetors, and some of those hubcap things...Hey, throw in some of those billet specialties if you know what I mean: I hear everyone at the club has 'em!

Hey kids, here's 50 bucks...go buy yourselves a job.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are over powering your chassis on street tires as I assume you are, no drag radial, or dot approved tire will stop you from going up in smoke from a stoplight. I recommend two sets of tires. A regular street tire for every day and a set of dedicated slicks for track times. I currently have BFG drag radials on and can't wait to get them off and go back to street tires for ride quality. I may make it to a test and tune night one day just to know, but I'm pretty confident in what my car is capeable of with traction so I'm in no hurry to potentially crack up $40,000.00 worth of hard work. If I still have my car and it/me holds up till 2017 I figure I'll have got my return on my investment and then start beating it a little.

gmm-caddyshack.jpg

Hey I hear this club is restricted... just give me some of those cylinder heads, one of those carburetors, and some of those hubcap things...Hey, throw in some of those billet specialties if you know what I mean: I hear everyone at the club has 'em!

Hey kids, here's 50 bucks...go buy yourselves a job.

Gotta love Caddyshack and Rodney!!!! kicking