rotating assembly

youngmonte71

im rebuilding a 400 chevy small block, im building it for about 500+ hp and i was looking for a rotating assembly from eagle and some other places. and i was wondering what the difference between H-beams and I-beam rods are? and is one better then the other? And if anyone knows any good places to get a good rotating assembly fill free to tell me.

What IS the difference?

Aren't an "H" and an "I" the same shape, but viewed from a different perspective?

I_beam.jpg

Ok...I see there is a difference:

x_i_H_beam_connecting_rod.jpg

I'm learning something new.

There is some good reading on the subject here:

http://www.oliverconnectingrods.com/downloads/OliverCatalog07.pdf

The difference is which end is longer. On I beams, the middle web is longer than the end cross sections, on H beams, the end cross beams are longer than the middle web.

I've heard both that I beams are stronger, and H beams are stronger. I don't really think it matters as long as whichever ones you use are made for your power level. H's look cooler to me for what that is worth! lol

i would think i also has something to do with the fact that a I beam is stonger in one axis then another depending on if you are looking at it as an I or an H..

I'm not sure which one is which.. but that could be important on a connecting rod, as they don't take a whole lot of side-to-side force (fore-aft in the engine) but probably take a tremendous amount of stress in the side-side plane...

if that makes any sense

There seems to be a fair bit of discussion on this topic. From what I gather, the two designs can be made to be of identical strength, but the H-beam always ends up being heavier. An increse of rotational mass is usually something to avoid...

Here's another diagram and write-up:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-...-beam-rods.html