Engine rebuild - cam first?

ripleydale

Cam bearings are the hardest to get to. Most people do not even do their own cam bearing installation. It would be nice to know if the cam bearing fit is good before setting the crank. I think it is easier to put the cam in when you can reach up in the block and help it along.

Have your machine shop press in the cam bearings. I put the camshaft in after the piston/crank, but before the heads. You need to find TDC with the heads off. Just be gentle with it as you work it into the block so you don't nick up the bearings.

Yes you do have to be very carefull putting the cam in as to not damage the bearings but when I went through the chevy engine assembly plant in 1972 while in gm school the guy on the assembly line would tap them in with a hammer if they didnt slide in easly that was kinda scary. Well at least mine was built in 71 maybe that guy wasnt there then.

Thanks guys. Cam bearings were done by the machine shop. Since it can slide around so easily before the timing chain goes on, I was wondering if it made more sense to put the crank and pistons in first. Probably a little easier sliding in the cam with nothing else around it as Mike mentions. I won't use the hammer method. smile