Hedder and Exhaust system help , overkill??

snomobeelr

Trying to decide if I need new hedders . Also which exhaust 2 1/2 or 3 inch. The car is going to be a crusier, but still want it fast as possible : ). It is a 1973 454 block, Mild cam , 9 to 1 compression. air gap intake, 750 Demon, 373 rear end. Heads are 781 Oval with the Large Valves. In process of putting car back together. My old hedders are Headman 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 I cant remember. They had the HPC coating on them . Some has flaked off over time since they have been on the car since at least 1990 and would need to be recoated. The headders are ok but if everything else is new dont want to place old headders back on. If I am to get new hedders would 2 inch be to Big??

I am looking at the Torque Tech Exhaust system and trying to decide if I should do the H-Pipe or the Cross over Pipe as well as 2 1/2 or 3 inch. With my set up is it worth it?

Torque Tech

3 Inch : H-PIPE 423.90 45.00 SHIPPING

3 Inch : X- PIPE 465.00 62.10 SHIPPING

3" Super Dynomax/20" 230.00

Hey Alan,

I would go with the 3" system. If you ever decide to get a little crazy with your engine you'll be ahead of the game with the exhaust. I can't really comment on the x-pipe or h as I have never a/b the two. I'm sure someone will chime in. As far as headers, 2" for your current build IMHO would be to big. 1 3/4" would work well but I wouldn't go any larger than 1 7/8". Just as long as the header flange does not shroud the exhaust port your good to go.

Good choice going with torque tech. I have heard nothing but good things about their kits and they their customer service. I plan on using their 3" system but am going with Pypes Race Pro mufflers. This is going on a 414 s/b.

Cool thing is their company is only 45 minutes from my house. No shipping charges!! smile

Take care,

David

Hey Dave, Happy New Year. I have installed a complete Pypes 2 1/2 inch stainless steel exhaust system on my car with the stainless Street Pro Mufflers. I have heard the Race Pro mufflers and they are VERY loud. If you are driving your car on the street, they are just a step below open headers. I would not recomend them for street driving. They also do instalations at their facility. If you are that close it may be another option for you. They maybe able to let you try both types of mufflers. I am very happy with the sound quality of the Street Pro mufflers and get a lot of compliments on them. They flow very well, sound great and the police don't bother me.

They say a crossover will boost the low speed torque a bit, and quiet down the exhaust tone a bit. The X-pipe is a little better than a straight crossover, but either way it's unlikely you'll notice anything in the seat of your pants. If you are redoing your entire system, a crossover is pretty cheap to add but the downside is that they take up a lot of room underneath and make service difficult. Having both sides connected together makes dropping only one side impossible, and makes the system more rigid...that means as the engine moves in its mounts, the exhaust gaskets act as pivot points and the gaskets get a workout.

Are the Hooker Comp headers 2 inch? Is that too much for my setup?

1973 454 block

Heads are 781 casting Oval port with the Large Valves

Mild cam

9 to 1 compression

air gap intake

750 Demon

373 rear end.

Hooker 2" Competition Headers and a 3" Toque Tech X-Pipe exhaust system is what I'd go with. That setup will work well for today and carry you through any modifications you make to you setup down the road. Even if 2" primary tubes are a tad bit big for your current combo who cares, it's a big block. You will still have plenty of torque. All JMHO.

Ok so Looks like I am probably going with your Suggjestions , hooker 2 inch with 3/2 collector hok-2455-1hkr ceramic 375.95 at summit. I called Jett Hott to see what there price is 2455 hooker comp 419.95 with the sterling coating . The exhaust I am now looking at the Torque Tech and Pypes 3 inch with the X-Pipe.. The funny thing is summit is actually cheaper on the pypes system than pypes directly??

Torque Tech : 3 Inch X-PIPE NO muffler 528.00 + 62.10 = + 230.00 for mufflers....... Total = 758.00 W/Shipping

PYPES.......: 3 Inch X-PIPE/muffler 531.30 Shipping 45.00 = 581.00 + reducers 68.25...Total = 649.00 W/Shipping

Summit Pypes: 3 Inch X-PIPE/muffler 429.92.........................+ reducers 56.95...Total = 487.00 W/O SHIPPING

DON'T BUY YOUR HEADERS ALREADY CERAMIC COATED! Buy them painted black, test fit them, make any required modifications to fit your application, and then send them off to be coated. No two FGMC's are the same. Some folks can bolt the headers right in with no issues, while others have to dimple and otherwise massage their headers to fit them properly.

ditto

I did the new headers the same time I converted to Fuel Injection and did not have the idle tuned rich enough when I fired it up to break in the new cam and now my coated headers a little gray frown

The car is totally apart but the motor I just cleaned up and replacing the Performer intake with a RPM Air gap Intake. and new oil pump since it is out. Keeping everything else the same. Engine has maybe 15,000 miles on it It was rebilt in 90. Cam has been replaced b4. Still debating between 1 7/8 or 2 inch full lenghth headers though.