454 swap questions

ss4ever

I have a 454 engine I am looking to build for my 72 and I have a couple questions.

What headers fit good with a BBC in these cars? I am thinking full length coated headers.

What intake setups will fit under a stock hood. I am thinking a raised dual plane design like the Edelbrock Performer RPM with a 750 Edelbrock carb on top.

I currently have a 350 in my Monte and I plan on installing a 200-4R transmission in it but I already know that my stock 454 flexplate will not fit in the 200-4r, checked that out already. Any chance someone makes a 153 tooth flexplate ballanced for a 454?

As for the 454 it will be .030 with a stock crank and rods, possibly forged pistons, non-stock camshaft(hopefully roller), rebuilt 781 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Eddy 750 carb, headers, stock HEI distributor and electric fans. Nothing too fancy just big and noisey laugh

Thanks for all the head guys.

I have a 454 engine I am looking to build for my 72 and I have a couple questions.

What headers fit good with a BBC in these cars? I am thinking full length coated headers.

What intake setups will fit under a stock hood. I am thinking a raised dual plane design like the Edelbrock Performer RPM with a 750 Edelbrock carb on top.

I currently have a 350 in my Monte and I plan on installing a 200-4R transmission in it but I already know that my stock 454 flexplate will not fit in the 200-4r, checked that out already. Any chance someone makes a 153 tooth flexplate ballanced for a 454?

As for the 454 it will be .030 with a stock crank and rods, possibly forged pistons, non-stock camshaft(hopefully roller), rebuilt 781 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Eddy 750 carb, headers, stock HEI distributor and electric fans. Nothing too fancy just big and noisey laugh

I hope thats a typo grin or were you shooting for quote of the week

Hooker Comps are a nice fit but 2" primaries will kill a little low end.

I have a Victor Jr under my 71 hood with a nitrous plate under it and a Corvette drop base air cleaner fits just fine.

A 14" external balanced flywheel will fit just fine. Just find a dual bolt pattern SFI flexy and you will be ok.

Thanks for all the head guys. REALLY?

Sounds like you have a great start there. It is possible your 454 has forged crank and rods too, be sure to ask your engine guy about them. You're going to like those heads too, it ought to be a torque monster.

2 inch Hookers may be overkill on a fairly mild 454, but they fit reasonable well - there are several threads about it. I just did the driver's side on my 502 yesterday, and it requires moving the proportioning valve up and over, and I also have slight contact with the lower control arm mount, which I may have to dimple.

I've heard the Hedman 3/4 length fit perfect, but they are only 1 5/8 I believe.

With my 454, I ran a Holley Strip Dominator with an 800 dp, drop base air cleaner, and still had room for a 4 inch element (no underhood insulation). There should be plenty of room with a 3 inch element.

I installed a Gen V 454 into my '70 Monte. I used a Edelbrock Performer Intake with a Holly 750 carb, and 2" Hooker headers. I had to disconnect my steering shaft from the gearbox to get the left side header in. Still have about 2 to 3 " of clearance when I close my hood.

Man, I knew we had some friendly people here but I think that is going a little too far for me! shocked

Don't ask don't tell?

Anyways, I run a 3" filter with a drop base on top of a 800 DP Holley with an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap with just enough clearence.

Mike

Woops sorry about the slip up guys, don't know where my mind was laugh

Good to know of the hood clearance. Right now my air cleaner is fairly close to the hood as it is with the 350, wasn't sure how it would be with the big block.

I will start keeping my eyes open for a good used Performer RPM intake and some mid length headers.