LS motor swap.

P.O.S.racer

i want to get a 5.3L truck motor to put in my 70 monte. does anybody have advise???????????? i want to keep the F/I . i can get truck motors for $350 - $700. has anybody here ever did this? i just dont trust the motor in the monte now, it is old and sluged up... and i need somthing for a daliy driver. had it for 3 year and still havent been ablie to drive it. now the paint is junk and bondo is popping, so i have to drive it this year whille it still looks ok.

I almost did the same thing when I saw this for sale.

http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/2147802395.html

Sounds like a good deal!

I also looked at this book in B&N. Had lots of info in it. Cheap money too.

http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-Almost-Anything-Design/dp/1932494812

Good luck with the project. Can't wait to see it.

I have the book swap LS's into anything, and it is a wealth of knowledge. The biggest thing, it goes over the ECM and how to wire it, and tune it yourself.

Well worth the money if your serious about the swap.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, long time no chat. but I have my 2001 5.3L motor/harness/computer on the way, should be here sunday. I bought / read the How to swap a LS into almost any thing. lots of info (but all the info is mainly for the LS1 camaro motor (wire and stuff)

I know the motor fits each car diferntly. some need a new oil pan/or the stock one modifiyed.

The monte looks like the motor sits back farther than any other car. I hope this motor will fit.

I will be useing a th/400 trans (so i need adapters)

I need motor mounts, trans adapter, header/manifolds (I want twin turbo eventaly) but for now I think a Z06 camshaft should liven it up alittle, I am keeping it Fuel injected.

Side note, My car is bright red, and the paint job is peeling and popping, kinda had me in the dumps (it would be so hard to macth old faded paint)...... LOL

Well I was painting a RED stripe on my motorcycle, when I relized that the bright cherry red RUST-olem is a PERFECT PAINT MACTH FOR MY CAR. so now it is half spray paint. and it macthes great.

I kept the motor mounts in the stock location on the frame. Replaced the block motor mount with a polyurethane one and used 1" setback plates attached to the block as well. By doing this I was able to use the F-Body oil pan. I am using the 4L60E so I had to relocate and modify the trans cross member. I also need to take ~2.5" off the driveshaft (likely going to have a chromemoly one made). I am using trailblazer SS exhaust manifolds for now (headers later). I had to relocate the brake line distribution block as the exhaust manifold hit it. So far it looks like I can keep the stock column shifter if I want (sleeper look). I need to mount the fuel system and finish up the wiring yet. I may run a clutch fan for a bit before switching to electrics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hedman Hustler makes a mid-lenght header now for A-bodies LS swaps. a little wierd but they list specifically 70-72 Monte serparately.... I called and asked tech why Monte is diff. from 68-72 A-BODY and he said nicley, "Because thats how they made them" grrrr. he coudnt give any reasons why or what is differant. so now im stuck on which to order. Heres the kicker- the Monte Part # is actually same as earlier 66-67 A body....[you said a naughty!]???????

This is definatly the way to go if you are planning a LS swap.The iron block adds about 100#s to your front end but the block is very strong and comes with a forged crank that can support 1000+HP.It comes with 317 heads that flow as well as LS6 heads but,they have larger chambers for low compression.The truck manifolds can be turned upside down and then be used to support twin turbos.Forget headers if you plan on turbos.That van should also have a 4L80E trans which is basicly a 400 with overdrive.Super strong and with a 3:42 gear you have the hot setup for quick ETs and still get some mileage driving it home.I have a 2000 C5 that makes 852 HP at 14#s and gets 25+MPG.It runs 9.96 @144 with a soft leave.Good luck.I might be right behind you on this one.I'm gonna try a SC 502 first.

Stayed tuned for a LQ9 swap. I just picked up two running 3500 Express vans for CHEAP!. This spring the 505 comes out of the 71 for a single turbo 6.0. This thing should haul.

• 1 month later...

going to see a LQ4/4L80 in an 06 3500 tomorrow....reading HP books LS engine conversion book.

nice when the info is focused on the project at hand....simplifies the learning curve big time.

engine/trans/harnesses for $1500 is a deal I don't think I can pass on....besides, it leaves a ton of wiggle room in my engine budget for forced induction.

muhahahahaha